G. Pulchra Spiderling Molting Frequency

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Pulchras are said to be "slow-growing". From what I've gathered, "medium-growing" spiderlings usually seem to molt once every 1 or 2 months, taking longer as they get older until they settle on once a year. But what is the interval for the "slow-growing" species?

I thought I saw a post somewhere that claimed their G. Pulchra sling had not molted in a year. Is that far-fetched? I've had mine for a month, and it does not seem close to molting, by its behavior, at least.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had mine for going on 5 months, and it moulted once in my care at the beginning of July. It's now been over three months. It stopped eating six weeks ago, but the abdomen is just now sort of kind of maybe if you look at it right starting to darken. This little bugger is just a little over 3/4", so, yeah, they're slow growing. If mine is moulting this infrequently at this size, I can easily see an older immature going several months to a year or longer.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
here's the breakdown on my G. pulchra

Bought: 11/10/2001 Size: 1 1/8 Inches
Molted: 12/07/2001 Size: 1 3/8 Inches
Molted: 01/14/2002 Size: 1 3/4 Inches
Molted: 02/23/2002 Size: 2 3/8 Inches
Molted: 04/08/2002 Size: ???
Molted: 10/08/2002 Size: ???

The reason I don't have the size from the 04/08 molt is because I haven't measured the most recent (from 10/08) yet. I find that the most accurate way to measure how big your tarantula was is by measuring the molt. The downside is that you never know how big your T is NOW, only how big it was.

Scott

U

Unregistered

Today it refused food for the first time, so maybe it is getting ready to molt.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't feel bad

Don't feel bad, my G.Pulchra s'ling hasn't moulted yet either. I've been curious to know when it's going to happen. I know I have to be patient for 'nature', and it is indeed a species that is a 'slow-grower', but Chris got in two pulchras at around the same time, and the one that he didn't sell me moulted a few days ago.
He hasn't showed any signs of moulting. I'm not familiar with abdomen discolouration, and I don't think my eye is sharp enough to notice the change. He's yet to refuse food though, and he ate full cricket about the size of him a few days ago...
Who knows?
Paul