G. pulchra slings and humidity

Satu

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

Nearly a month ago I got my first T, a little G. pulchra sling called Mort (Mr S and I have since acquired 6 more spiders, but that's a story for another thread...); he's slightly over an inch in size at the moment. I'm a little bemused by some of his behaviour and wondered if others have had similar experiences with these, or if something is actually wrong.

When I first got him I put him in a Critter Keeper type enclosure filled almost to the top with substrate (this stuff). As soon as I put him in he practically jumped off the ground and onto one of the sides, and I realised it was probably a bit damp for him. I put in a dry layer on top but that didn't make much difference -- he still preferred hanging out on the underside of the lid.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to put him in a different container with coco fibre sustrate and a transparent lid; I made sure I dried the substrate out a bit in the oven before I put it in, and also put in a water dish. (Photo attached.)

Well, he still spends most of his time on the sides (usually, but not always, on the one closest to the heat mat). The substrate is obviously not completely dry yet -- there's condensation on the sides of the box, though not as much as when I first put it in. Mort doesn't seem stressed out or anything; he'll happily munch on any cricket I drop in there (the other day he came down to catch one and then clambered back up the side with it in his fangs), and he does occasionally come down onto the substrate (usually if I pick up the box, as you can see from the photo).

So! Extremely long-winded story short, should I be worried about this? Is this just a thing they do sometimes? Also, should I bother with the water dish or just mist, given that he doesn't seem very impressed when I do?

Thanks!

Attachments

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A water dish is necessary for tarantulas under three inches, give or take a bit.. so its really your call what you do. As for the moist substrate, slings require a little more care, and a lil moister substrate then you would normally use for an adult. I have Brachys in bone dry enclosures and they still hug the walls sometimes.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello everyone,
Is this just a thing they do sometimes?
Yes. Spiders are known to climb walls. Your T is fine. It will best become acclimated to the new enclosure if you leave it alone.

Enjoy!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have four all about that 1" range Ive kept them very dry for the last year and they are doing great I wet one corner of the cage no water dish and they are nice and plump.

Satu

Arachnopeon
Alrighty. I shall carry on misting in one corner when it gets very dry, and see if he comes down eventually. Thanks, everyone!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just removed a good amount of damp coco from my pulchra sling's home and replaced it with some dry stuff. Hopefully it will enjoy the dry earth a little more...