G. Pulchra ready to molt?!?!

Fauch1981

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the hobby and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible to better care for my T's. I was wondering if there are any signs in behavior to tell if a T is preparing to molt?

Any information is much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
yes, there are many many threads on this topic...try the "advanced search" under the "search" button (top right corner in the blue bar) and select the "Tarantula Q&A" forum :)

but...to save you a bit of searching (oddly out of character for me):

1) when they stop eating

2) their abdomens will change appearance to a blackish/brown color (if they're already black or brown T, you will notice a change...sometimes towards a gray color)

3) when they flip upside down :D (although, some molt right side up on very very rare occasions)

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha he's right, it is out of character lol j/k;) , everything he said is good to go.

if its G. pulchras that we are talking about? what i usually do once i notice they're not eating or starting to get the faded look, is mist the tank alittle (not totally soaked, just a light mist) to increase the humidity a bit...which usually helps to insure all goes well..... other than that just sit back and enjoy the show!!!!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
lol...no reason to joke, i really hate answering questions like this that have been posed countless times before and generally point to the search engine and say, "use it" ;)

yeah, i did forget the bit about raising humidity a little bit (more important for slings than adults though).

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
both my pulchras molted recently (both look female :}! ) and i noticed that they turned from black to a sort of dusty dirty black instead of a nice velvety black. A day before the last one molted, i noticed it looked like that nice black again and it molted the next day. So i would wait for the faded black and then when it turns deep black the molt is imminent.