G. Pulchra on it's back in water dish

argo

Arachnopeon
Just went up and checked on it again. It's just acting like it normally does, nothing different now. Pic of T attached
Glad to hear! Beautiful T, curious if it is in premolt myself.
Could always give a smaller dish and leave a bit more moisture in the ground in case there's worry of that happening again.
Hope all stays well

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Glad to hear! Beautiful T, curious if it is in premolt myself.
Could always give a smaller dish and leave a bit more moisture in the ground in case there's worry of that happening again.
Hope all stays well
It just ate a couple days ago so I don't think so. I got it in December and it hasn't molted yet so it's due to molt at some point. I gave it a gatorade cap instead of the condiment cup for water dish. I have always kept 3/4 of the enclosure bone dry and 1/4 of it moist since I purchased it. If this is wrong someone please let me know.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just to be more precise, my Pulchra was on its back inside the water dish, and the water dish filled with water. It is not bigger than the water dish pictured. It was floating on its back and not moving. Had it been on the substrate i would not have touched it, but of course it was floating on water inside the water dish. I didn't think of taking picture as I freaked out and moved it out immediately so the only thing pictured is the water dish. Out of everything I have read I have never come across anything like this and have never heard of a T molting ontop of water.
Give it a cigar and a dry martini! 🍹

Just joking. I have not heard about this. Never heard of a tarantula moulting in water before. I hope everyting goes well! Good luck

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Its energetic and acting normal ...... I added more water to the corner of sub and it just walked over watching what I was doing .....tried giving it a cricket but it wasn’t hungry ......seeing the size of its abdomen I might hold off on feeding until it molts

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Good to hear...I was worried.

Next time it does this, give it a pool lounger and a Mai Tai, with a tiny umbrella...and take a picture. :cool:

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Update : Just wanted to post an update to this thread. My G Pulchra finally molted today (1st molt since I purchased it Dec. 2019) It seems to be doing fine so I am still clueless on why it was floating upside down in the water dish that one day. The only conclusion I can come up with is that it fell from the corner above the water dish and I happened to see it right after it happened.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
One of my C versicolors was taking a swim today very interesting. It is like a 1/3 the size of the water dish it has and just floating and drinking found this also today very peculiar.