G. pulchra - how long to reach full size?

bluebell

Arachnopeon
I have a 1/2" G. Pulchra sling and was curious about how many years it will take to reach full size, since I understand they are slow growers.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Several years, I think. I believe I read that they reach full size in 5 years?

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
5 years for a fast grower I think, if anyone really knew the exact time I'd probably depress you. I bought a 1" sling 1 and a half years ago it's probably around 1.5" now.

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, around 5 years sounds right. This is what turns me off when it comes to buying slow growing slings. Therefore, if it's a slow grower, I'll buy an adult.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
5? Hah! Tell that to mine. I've been raising two slings for almost 4 years from probably the 3rd instar. It will be at least 3 more years before a male could possibly be mature let alone a female.

They're slower growing than even my N. American Aphonopelma sp. I've been rearing from the 2nd instar.

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep very very slow growing. I got mine from Botar June 11, 2005 at about 1" and it's molted once since then.

I got my King Baboon that same day - which are considered to be among the slowest growing and it has molted twice since that same date and it is going to molt again this week.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got a 1/4" or 1/2" sling pulchra back in spring 2003, and she's about 4" now. but she also only molts every 18-36 months now.

i forsee another couple years before she's mature. :(

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Let's put it this way... I got a 1.5" sling in early Spring 2003, and three years later, it's barely 4". Good eater, too... just SLOOOOOOW.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G.pulchra owners

Would you say it is worth the wait to get a tiny sling verses a sub adult to an adult T then?
Personally i think i would prefer the long wait as long as i had some fast growers to help pass the time :D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It depends on what you want and how much money you have. I haven't ever seen a G. pulchra bigger than an inch and a half at what I would consider a reasonable price. I paid $50 for my half inch sling. It just moulted last week and is now an inch and a half. My sling is very comical, she does back flips, forward flips, rolls and dives between her own legs to catch crickets. She is a great eater, cute, and very intertaining. It really depends on what you want, but I couldn't be any happier with my sling. It is wonderful!!!!!!!

bluebell

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the answers everyone. I guess it's a good thing I'm a patient person :)

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry guys but I dont think a G.pulchra (female) can be mature in 5 years, and I dont think they get full size in 5 years neither.

I have 4 pulchras (2.2.0) and one of them is an old pulchra, shes with me for more than 20 years, I bought her in october of 1984 and after more than 3 years she molted in december/05 and belive it ornot.. shes still growing, very slowly now, but shes bigger for sure. So Im not sure if they stop growing, I seems like they grow every molt, forever. :eek:

I personally think for grammostola genus its worth to get an adult (as long as its not WC) I just got an G. aureosriata, I payed a little more and got a mature female... well I also took some tinny slings , heheheh

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I sold a male this winter

I got him in June at 1 1/4" to 1 3/8". In December he molted out at nearly 4".
I wonder how big he is now?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You just answered a question from a 17 year old thread lol
Yeah think it’s older then when I joined here . Around a year later than this thread . :rofl: I need a Grammy again .. eventually. Yet to have the pulchra .

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Don't listen to people telling you it'll take more than 5 years.

Of course it can take more than that, but it doesn't have to. If you keep them warm, and by warm I mean 80-84F you'll cut down the time needed to grow past 5 inches dls by more than 50%.

20221228_232557.jpg

Of course you'll wanna feed it as often as it'll eat, and make sure the insects you feed it are gut loaded. For more info check my thread on the topic, titled about tarantula growth rates.

Great choice for a first T btw!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Don't listen to people telling you it'll take more than 5 years.

Of course it can take more than that, but it doesn't have to. If you keep them warm, and by warm I mean 80-84F you'll cut down the time needed to grow past 5 inches dls by more than 50%.

View attachment 446993

Of course you'll wanna feed it as often as it'll eat, and make sure the insects you feed it are gut loaded. For more info check my thread on the topic, titled about tarantula growth rates.

Great choice for a first T btw!!
Wow that’s insane ! Is there any harm keeping Ts room temperature? 74 atm for me / usually 70 but my dads been keeping it warmer . They grow a lot slower ofc .. that’s a big downfall . My largest lp isn’t even 6” yet. And I had it atleast 5 years if not more .

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Wow that’s insane ! Is there any harm keeping Ts room temperature? 74 atm for me / usually 70 but my dads been keeping it warmer . They grow a lot slower ofc .. that’s a big downfall . My largest lp isn’t even 6” yet. And I had it atleast 5 years if not more .
There's no harm in keeping them in the low 70s, they just won't grow as fast that's all.