G. aureostriata breeding

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Below are events in the breeding of my G. aureostriata: (Kind of a long read, but pretty interesting)
I got a mature male G. aureostriata from Wade at the Richmond Insect Fair on Saturday 06/14.
I placed his container adjacent to my females tank and left him there over night. By morning, he was in the process of making a sperm web (That one scared the crap out of me as I looked in the male's container and he was in the sperm web upsidown, almost looked like he was going to molt.)
Sunday evening I introduced him to the female's enclosure. At first he crept very slowly toward the female and then starting drumming with his pedapalps on the ground about 3 inches away from her. He then started waving legs I and V.
Normally a gentle giant, she dropped her fangs straight down and I though it was all over for him.
Instead, he took the opportunity and went straight for her, lifting her up and breeding for several minutes. The breeding consisted of drumming on her underside with insertions.
After he was done, he backed of a coupld of inches and froze. She apparently was not done and started to pursue him with fangs reared.
At that point I put a wooden spoon in between them and the male took the opportunity to scale the glass and make his get away.
After that, she remained in attack position for almost 10 minutes and then started searching the tank for him. She even went to the screen top and was puching her fangs through the screen. (Pretty inpressive as they are a half inch in length)
He on the other hand relaxed in his enclosure and ate 2 crickets. (Probably went to sleep afterward).
I'll keep you posted as things progress....

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for this account, rknhalf! I enjoyed reading it very much.

Scott Case

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I, for one, am crossing my fingers!

Wade

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats cool

Hey good luck man. are you going to try again? feed the female and may be she wont want to eat him.....um yeah
have a nice day
geo

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm definately going to try again this weekend when I can spend som additional time with my tarantulas.
I'm also keeping an eye out for another sperm web to signal that he is ready to go.
I'll keep you all posted.
Ralph

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Round 2

I got home from work a bit earlier and had nothing better to do, so I decided to introduce the male again. He was pacing the tank franticly, so I figured something was up.
Anyway, I released him at the top of her enclosure and he made his way slowly towards her. About 3 inches away, he starting drumming. She turned and lowered her fangs. Then he made a rush at her and hooked up immediately. They stayed in their embrace for almost 5 minutes as I nervously watched. This time he was way under her and I was afraid she would drop on him and wrap him up.
After about 5 minutes, he backed off and made a quick getaway up and over the side while she was still in a trance. I caught him and he ran up my sleeve and sat in the middle of my back. I had to get my wife to help me get him off.
What a rush!
I'll keep you all posted!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Oh how exciting!!!! I just brought home a male g. rosea and am breeding him with my two females. Isn't it an amazing thing to watch? Just incredible! I tried to feed my big guy when he was done... but all he wanted was a cigarette!

Sounds like you have a great couple there, I'll keep my palps crossed hoping you get a sac! Great luck!

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey cool

Exiting story. With all this breeding going on ima go try my first. my males are really....making sperm webs all over and they have no female so ima buy them some nice.....girls. well have a nice day
geo

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@ MizM

Hi. I have just two.. My Avic.avic and my new A.seemanni
I have alot of femmes but I dunno if they're ready to mate yet. Maybe my P.Irminia and My A.bicoloratum but they're expensive. so um yeah have a nice day
geo