Fungus among us - identification request

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Not really a plant so I'm happy to repost elsewhere but what in the Last of Us am I growing at the base of my Pamphobeteus platyomma enclosure??
PXL_20240401_191856039.jpg

The white sprinkles I believe is fungus as well but I'm not worried about it. It's the yellow tentacles I'm concerned about... I don't want to disturb anyone if I can avoid it. Whatever it is, it's very happy down there.

Tarantula tax:
PXL_20240401_192056250.jpg

He's never burrowed and I don't expect him to.

What do you guys think?

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
you got any coco fibre in there?

if so it might be Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, the flower pot parasol

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
you got any coco fibre in there?

if so it might be Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, the flower pot parasol
Not intentionally, just reptisoil. Ive always thought the yellow sprinkles were flower pot, had no idea it could assume such a stature 🤣

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
they will slowly consume your soil until nothing is left XD

doesn't even have to be coco, it feeds on anything organic, they just dont do well with freezing temperatures so they often come in through cocofibre shipments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

doesn't even have to be coco, it feeds on anything organic, they just dont do well with freezing temperatures so they often come in through cocofibre shipments
I had no idea. Thank you for your help ❤

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I’ve never had this type of mold , I’d probably remove it .

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Not really a plant so I'm happy to repost elsewhere but what in the Last of Us am I growing at the base of my Pamphobeteus platyomma enclosure??
View attachment 470200

The white sprinkles I believe is fungus as well but I'm not worried about it. It's the yellow tentacles I'm concerned about... I don't want to disturb anyone if I can avoid it. Whatever it is, it's very happy down there.

Tarantula tax:
View attachment 470199

He's never burrowed and I don't expect him to.

What do you guys think?
It looks like where a mushroom tried to bloom against the side but obviously couldn't n got squished .
I think once it gets to the fruiting stage the mycelium is already through the sub. I am only just starting to learn about mushrooms though so I could easily be wrong .... he is a busy man but @l4nsky oh mad genius of the fungi and king of humid enclosures what are your thoughts on the yellowness fungi or no?

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
mushroom fruiting also has to do with co2 levels

so down there the microorganisms using up o2 produce much higher co2 levels then at the surface or the gap between soil and glass, the lower co2-level there mimics surface levels while providing more humidity, which stimulates the growth, hence they often bloom below the soil level, up against the glass, but not inside the soil-center where high co2 prevents fruiting.

in doing so they can over time pusch the soil away from the glass/plastic and when they wither away a gap remains

they also break down the organic material so the effect will be stronger in soils with high organic content and they draw out the moisture at the same time, compounding the effect by holding it together via the mycelium matrix

when it has progressed enough it will look like the soil is shrinking away XD, like a sponge deflating

its pretty rare that people let it progress that far though and you are still very far away from that

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter

so down there the microorganisms using up o2 produce much higher co2 levels then at the surface or the gap between soil and glass, the lower co2-level there mimics surface levels while providing more humidity, which stimulates the growth, hence they often bloom below the soil level, up against the glass, but not inside the soil-center where high co2 prevents fruiting.

in doing so they can over time pusch the soil away from the glass/plastic and when they wither away a gap remains

they also break down the organic material so the effect will be stronger in soils with high organic content and they draw out the moisture at the same time, compounding the effect by holding it together via the mycelium matrix

when it has progressed enough it will look like the soil is shrinking away XD, like a sponge deflating

its pretty rare that people let it progress that far though and you are still very far away from that
Oooo didn't know you were a mushroom of knowledge too 😆 I will have to remember this ! You may get random shroom questions sometimes now you have revealed your skill 😁

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

Specifically fruiting trigger (co2/O2).

First Pic are pins, quite healthy ones. It is surprising they didn't actually fruit to maturity if already at that stage.

Not a studied or educated opinion, but my opinion on mushrooms is avoid mature fruits for spores. I worry more about spore loads and breathing rather than mycelium of certain species.

Another consideration is that after the soil is spent (consumed by the digestion of fungi) bacteria often moves in right quick. Ij the agriculture world, the best ways of spraying for fungi are actually bacteria strains. No idea how this may affect spiders, but I prefer to avoid it if I am being honest.

There are certain realities when it comes to substrates. There are mineral based clay like ones which are much less nutritional. And there are organic ones. Coco for example is really just another type of sawdust if we are being basic. Husks of hard fibrous fruits ground into a powder. Many mushroom growers use them as a sub they add nutes to. though they also often run into sterlization issues with bacteria. I like it for dry cages, less so for wet ones. But I use it a lot for things like wet roaches, ispods etc. that enjoy the funky. Part of why coco is so useful in AG and gardening is because it loosens soil, but also allows loads of Biota to flourish in it.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

This. The only additional facts I can add to this base of knowledge is that there's also research that light influences where the mycelium will pin as well. This is most certainly a fruiting body (mushroom) and I can almost guarantee it came in with the Reptisoil. I've seen very similar instances of these squished mushrooms in the corners in some bags of Reptisoil and I've had them occur in some of my enclosures as well. If they get stuck under the surface then I don't have to worry about spore load so I'll typically let them just get eaten by the springtails.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I've got another one!!! It's SO PRETTY!
PXL_20240427_162225224.jpg
PXL_20240427_161429654.jpg

It's as purple as it looks. Any ideas? Quick search only brought up prettier purple mushrooms

Thanks 😍

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Idk but agree that is very pretty.

I googled purple n yellow mushrooms n it looks like Tricholomopsis rutilans but i could be totally wrong its just a guess 😊
If you are right, it appears it prefers conifers and I only use reptisoil :/

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
If you are right, it appears it prefers conifers and I only use reptisoil :/
I just googled reptisoil and it says it has tree fern fiber in it which grow in conifer forests in New Zealand so there is a good chance it could be.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Personally my concern is less so the species and more so it fruited in the burrow and will rot there too, causing rot and mass bacterial growth.

Granted I am probably more fungaphobic than many here. But I would pull that fruit out while it's fresh and firm just to avoid a puddle of slimy rot in the Ts burrow.

Rotting fungi are also magnets for fly larvae.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Are you seeing this beauty???? My 6.5" Xenesthis immanis for scale. Day before yesterday it was 3 little phallus looking things.
PXL_20240506_150457968.jpg

Personally my concern is less so the species and more so it fruited in the burrow and will rot there too, causing rot and mass bacterial growth.

Granted I am probably more fungaphobic than many here. But I would pull that fruit out while it's fresh and firm just to avoid a puddle of slimy rot in the Ts burrow.

Rotting fungi are also magnets for fly larvae.
I don't know how I missed this, but she was already due for a rehouse after her next molt so I'll go ahead and do it today.

In regards to what I just posted today, my Xenesthis is getting a rehouse in the next few, I'm still waiting for her to fully harden. She can be a bit wild.

Thank you because I hadn't considered flies.