Ft. Huachuca Aphonopelma sp.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I went to Southeastern Az. this past weekend to a spot where I found a T about 30 years ago. Drove to the same area as before and this is what I collected.
I think it may be an undescribed species. But I don't know for sure.
Its a juvie. female and very skittish. You'd think its never seen a person before. LOL

Ernie

Attachments

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was taken back by how well fed it looks. Her burrow was only about 6' from the paved road.

BTW, the first pic. was without flash. 2nd pic. with flash.

Attachments

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
beautiful T!!!

And it looks REAL well fed -- i'd check into seeing if Joy was hanging around that area over the past couple months :)

peace
dave

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
copycat...

was jealous of my fat-butt t's, and had to go catch one just so you could brag too, huh? ;P
OH OH OH LOOK! T's in the WILD DOOOOOOOO look like my T's!!! I guess I am not killin mine with kindness and a surplus of food afterall......wheeeee!=D

Very nice, Ernie. She is too small to be um, pregnant? How do you know she is a juvie (title may say baron, but I am still just a peon at heart).

Kim

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
It's a beauty, and pleeeeeaaaazzzzzz catch me one!!!:)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well Kim,
Thats a very good question. She's only about 3 1/2". So unless its a very small species, she's a juvie. I could be wrong though.

Anybody know how to tell when a female T goes from a Juvie to an adult?

Ernie

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow what a great looking Aphonopelma species. I envy you Ernie being able to catch all these wonderful looking tarantulas. When I think of all the money I could save by catching my own.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
It's a beauty, and pleeeeeaaaazzzzzz catch me one!!!:)
Mendi,
I'd love to, but I walked around the hills for 3 hours looking for this one, and I never saw any sign of a T hole. So I was walking back to the car and about 200 yards from the car I saw it.
Funny thing is, when we drove by the spot where the T was, I said that I think I'm going a little too far. Had I stopped there, I would have been right on top of it. Of course I would have missed it for sure then. LOL
Plus, my legs are still bleeding from all the scratches. :eek:

Ernie

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I understand that, but if you do happen to uncover another one and don't need it send me a pm. I can't even imnagine being out in the temps you're having there in AZ these past few days. I'll pray for an early monsoon season for you