Fruit fly help

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
So I have a culture of fruit flys, it says wingless but the do “fly” (more like super hops) I was wondering if someone knew how to only use 2 or 3 flys at a time without others escaping, right now I just tap the lid and rain 10 flys on my small poor jumping spiders and smaller inverts. Is there a better way to do this??

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yeah. You can put a straw down there with a plug on the end. Just make sure you have a backup plug once the straw is pulled out. Then once out, give the straw a couple of taps and just a few flies will come out. I just use a clear straw cut down with a bolt screwed into the end of it as a plug.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Another method is to use a second container.

You dump the flies from their culture container into another container, then since there are way less flies in this contact you can tap just the 2-3 you want into the enclosure of whatever you're feeding

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can tap them into a funnel that empties into another container or a vial and ration them off a little better. I like @Poonjab's idea though, I think I'm going to try that.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always try to get my critters on the same feeding schedule. Usually when trying to separate them, I just dump a dozen or so into a second container so they become more manageable but then again I have wingless. I do like @Poonjab’s solution, might give it a try myself.