From a shack to the Taj Mahal

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
I want to move Peso from his current domicile into a small kritter keeper. The keeper's measurements, for all of you science people, are: L-7", W-4.5", H-5.5". I know that that enclosure is a little too big for Peso, but it would be so much easier to keep an eye on him/her (since his container now is rather opaque). Also, it would be much easier to do live feedings if he was in a kritter keeper, since the crickets wouldn't get the chance to springboard off of my hand and into my underwear drawer.
If he's in a quite larger enclosure, will it stress him out, or harm him negatively? He never burrows, so I'm not worried about losing him in the bottom of this thing, so that isn't a concern of mine.
Should I move him?
Thanks,
Paul

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just give him some sort of a hide (you could even use an empty sling vial on its side) and he'll be fine. Since he is such a small guy still, also make sure you provide enough substrate that he can burrow if he wants. If you do those two things, it's not going to stress him out any more than being in the wild would. A T only gets stressed by a large cage when it can't find shelter, so long as that's taken care of, no worries.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also make sure Peso can't fit trough the slits in the lid. I larned that the hard way with my now "free" pterror. I don't recall how big Peso is but as long as Peso is at least 2.5" you should be fine.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Being the guy who sold Peso to Mr Rookie I know how big the spider is... and its too small for an unmodified critter keeper.

The slots where the door latches and the air slots are plenty big enough for a spider to squeeze through (as I found out the hard way) My smallest critter keeper wouldnt even hold 3/4" crickets without escapes.

You are probably going to want to plug up the slots a bit and make them smaller or you could have trouble coming.

Take care

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The slots where the door latches and the air slots are plenty big enough for a spider to squeeze through (as I found out the hard way)
Man, I don't know how Peso could possibly get through there. Let me stress that I'm not disagreeing with any of you. I'm certainly not so arrogant as to disagree about Tarantula care with the guy who sold me my Tarantula, but I just find it rather amazing. The slots seem so small compared to Peso, especially since he molted. If there are modifications that can ease my worry, fill me in because if I can safely move Peso into the KK I'll do it, but if there's any chance of escape, he stays put.
Paul

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Man, I don't know how Peso could possibly get through there. Let me stress that I'm not disagreeing with any of you. I'm certainly not so arrogant as to disagree about Tarantula care with the guy who sold me my Tarantula, but I just find it rather amazing. The slots seem so small compared to Peso, especially since he molted. If there are modifications that can ease my worry, fill me in because if I can safely move Peso into the KK I'll do it, but if there's any chance of escape, he stays put.
Paul
Check out the following pic. The top is maybe a little over 4" diameter. There was never any problem with my sling getting out. He would hang out upside down on the plastic grid - never had any trouble getting down. In the pic, he's about 1 1/4".

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/attachment.php?s=&postid=10761

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Paul
I don't think Chris was aware that Peso had moulted. The biggest escape potential on a KK is the holes where the handle ends go. What I have done for some of my KK's is hotglue a small piece of mesh over those holes. Other than that, since I don't how exactly how big Peso is post-moult, you'll have to use your own judgment. I never move a sling into a KK until it's definitely over 1.25" in legspan.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rookie,

Do what you thinks best, but know this. If any thing happens to our little Peso, if he gets lost, or stuck and his legs fall off, or anything else. Start looking for me, cause I'm coming up there and I'm going to @#$@*&^)(%$## your ass.LOL ;) :D

Just kidding Bro.

Ernie

Last edited: