Frog

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I caught a little frog two weaks ago, and he hasn't eaten yet (Well, maybe he has eaten a cricket that I can't find) I only have mealworms and m.beatles wich he doesn't seem to care for. I'll be getting some crickets tomorrow or maybe today. If he doesn't eat at all, what should I do?
1) Nothing, he will eat eventually
2) Force -feed him someway
3) Put him in a really quiet place with lots of food.
4) Let him go at first chance, he'll starve to death.
5) Something else.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Myself, I'd just let him go where you found him. If he's not eating, obviously he doesn't like what is being offered. Something in his native habitat is more appropriate for him, though, I find it rather unusual, most frogs I catch will eat pretty much anything moving that fits in their mouth. :) Really, the stress of captivity is probably what is doing it.

Rav

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really think its stress as I put a local grasshoper in there and he didn't touch it. (My centipede found it delicious later;P )

Maybe if I left him alone for a while, like somewhere quiet, that would lower the stress...

Here's a pic.

sorry, I tried to link to the photo but it doesn't work.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here it is. It's not exactly the same one. The one in the pic is one I caught last year that ate like there was no tomorrow.
You can see what it looks like thought.
(They MUST be the same species)

Attachments

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For what it's worth, the genus is definately Bufo (true toads). This is recognizable because of the partoid gland behind the eye. Possibly Bufo viridis, the green toad.

Size of prey may be the issue. Smaller crix may be accepted.

Wade

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've tried all sizes threw the week. I'll set him free tomorrow and catch onetherone...:rolleyes:

Do they get big?????

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In a word, yes.

In more words, holy crap yes.

We got one few years ago, it has a hide, a water dish, and some moss. i thorw a few crickets in aevery week and they are gone by the next week. the thing is almost 4 inches across while sitting. One of the fattest thing i have ever seen, if it was human, it would be dangerouly obese. It was given to us by a family freind ho found it in Long Beach, CA. Outside her home. was skin and bones when we got it.

biznacho

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About 10cm max for the green, according to the book I have. If your toad is a newly transformed "toadlet" it may still be absorbing it's tail and is not yet eating.

Edit: The genus Bufo includes some massive animals, but also some really tiny ones. The toad from Greece is probably not the same species seen in California. The European green toad is probably a medium-sized species (no first hand experience myself).

Wade

Last edited:

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Big toads are fun, here's my Brazilian rococo. He's actually a small specimin of his species - thats my mousepad he's on if you want an idea of size. :)

He eats small adult mice, he could probably eat big ones, but they don't stick to his tongue so chasing them around is difficult for him - not that he couldn't use the exercise.

Rav

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, I let it free. Hope all goes well for him.

I caught myself a new onw BTW, hehe. And a biger one as well!!!!

Ravnos, thats one scary toad you got there....