Friggin crickets!

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have micro-crickets....bad. That female that attempted laying in the tank apparently succeeded to some degree. What do I do? Other than replace the substrate....I did that last month, and she burrowed so nicely. I'd hate to ruin it for her.

N.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats about all you can do.....Unless you wait until they hatch and the scoop them up... I hear they look like mold.......Anyways...Thats all I know

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No, they did hatch. The problem is the little buggers are small. Even when I try to smash them all I end up doing is pressing them into the dirt. Then they just get annoyed and hop around. How can I kill them easily without hurting the T? I thought about torching them since the T is burrowed. Top soil doesn't burn does it? LoL

N.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Nick-noc, whereya been :)

Anyhow, I've heard from others that if they will often suicide into water dishes, if they are accesible to them.

Bill

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Nick-noc, whereya been :)

Anyhow, I've heard from others that if they will often suicide into water dishes, if they are accesible to them.

Bill
Dammit Bill...

Anyway, they have access, but I doubt all will dive into it. I tried flooding them, but it didn't work. The soil just soaked all the water up, and they hopped around like it never happened. I think I've gotten a great deal of them, but not all. Do they pose any significant threat, or can I let them grow to an edible size in the tank?

N.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
catch a jumping spider...worked for me in my rosie's tank

but then i couldnt find the spider after a while so i gues it got it in the end...

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You California folk tend to forget that some of us experience a little thing called winter LoL Where the hell am I going to find a live jumping spider in March? Especially near Chicago....it snowed yesterday :(

N.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is the T that the mini-crickets are in with? If it's a s'ling, you could put in something for the little crickets to eat and slowly your s'ling will pick them off, if it's a large T change the substrate.

Andy

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience keeping (or attempting to keep) a stock of pinheads, without moisture, they die very quickly. In my case of course, that was a bad thing since pins still cost as much as regular size crix. Remove the water dish and don't mist either. Let the enclosure dry out for just a couple days and they will be gone.

Atrax

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
kids, don't try this at home........
I got a 200,000v tazer gun(dont ask why), I had the same problem with pinheads before in a tank, I removed the t and zapped them all, it worked wonders, it also works on mites. I picked it up at a hawk shop for twenty bucks.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
kids, don't try this at home........
I got a 200,000v tazer gun(dont ask why), I had the same problem with pinheads before in a tank, I removed the t and zapped them all, it worked wonders, it also works on mites. I picked it up at a hawk shop for twenty bucks.
Now that's innovative thinking :)

Bill

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Remove spider... freeze container.. thaw container.. replace spider :D

Ropes

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Revises my list of things I want to include a Tazar gun.....)

;P

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tazer interesting idea !

I would not have thought of that ...lol but thats pretty good..

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
wow--the thrill of the hunt scaled down to fit in your t's tank! i suggest if you decide to tazer them, you get all dressed up in camouflage garb. maybe rub a bit of deer urine on yourself--you know--to complete the "goin' hunting" feeling...

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Looks at krystal and falls over giggling madly.)

=D =D =D =D =D

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
One problem with removing the T....it's burrowed quite deep. I was hoping to avoid digging her out. She's seemed stressed lately, and I don't want to piss her off (as the people in the shop I got her in said she'd already bitten someone...).

I've noticed that I've killed most of them (by hand....). On that sans water suggestion, how long would it take and would it hurt the T too much? She hasn't eaten in a while, and she may or may not be in premolt.

N.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
On that sans water suggestion, how long would it take and would it hurt the T too much?
It won't hurt most T's to be little dry for just a couple days. It really doesn't take long for pinheads to die without water. 48 hours or less with no water in my experience. The ambient humidity here is pretty low on average so my T's enclosures dry out fast without misting. May take a bit longer to dry where you live.

What sp. is it? there are a couple sp. of T that it may be a little risky to, especially if it's a sling or juvie.

Atrax

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
It won't hurt most T's to be little dry for just a couple days. It really doesn't take long for pinheads to die without water. 48 hours or less with no water in my experience. The ambient humidity here is pretty low on average so my T's enclosures dry out fast without misting. May take a bit longer to dry where you live.

What sp. is it? there are a couple sp. of T that it may be a little risky to, especially if it's a sling or juvie.

Atrax
My seemanni. The top layer of soil is bone dry right now. I usually mist once or twice a day. She been webbed in her burrow for about a week now. Her abdomen isn't getting dark, but there's a few pink-ish patch on it. Same on my Redknee, but not as much.

N.