Friendliest Tarantula

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
i think a lot of the avics are good, E.campestratus (pink zebra beauty), the G rosea, B smithi. i believe these are all good for a beginner one ive got them and they all tolerate being handled...i consider myself somewhat of a beginner but like a lot of people will tell you all T's are different....
well im changing my mind about B smithi cause im pissed off at her right now she kicked clouds i mean clouds of hairs at me tonight im not happy with her right now....not to mention im on fire.... :evil: ...guess she did not want me to clean her cage

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
well im changing my mind about B smithi cause im pissed off at her right now she kicked clouds i mean clouds of hairs at me tonight im not happy with her right now....not to mention im on fire.... :evil: ...guess she did not want me to clean her cage
LOL, that's why I did not mention smithi or any brachies for that matter, I have been haired by to many smithi's to even remember, of all the brachies I have the emilia and the ruhnaui seem to be the least likely to hair me in fact neither one of my adults of each species has ever tried to hair me but the juvs I have will kick up a little bit of hair from time to time. Greg

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Handful of cuteness how can you resist these little guys

Greg

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aww Greg, they're adorable!!!

I agree whole heartedly with the A.avic, G. pulchra, the PZB's and the chacos being good choices....I also agree that G. rosea is the crown holder of PMS!!! :eek: I do not, however, agree that G. rosea is "boring" or "ugly" by any means.

One thing, the Grammostola species tend to be slow growers so unless you have a lot of patience, try and get one a bit larger.

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
avic tend to have this cute way of walking...clumsy but cautious..lol..i just feel like rubbing their bums on my face cos they're soooooooo adorable.... {D

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
metzgerzoo said:
Aww Greg, they're adorable!!!

I agree whole heartedly with the A.avic, G. pulchra, the PZB's and the chacos being good choices....I also agree that G. rosea is the crown holder of PMS!!! :eek: I do not, however, agree that G. rosea is "boring" or "ugly" by any means.

One thing, the Grammostola species tend to be slow growers so unless you have a lot of patience, try and get one a bit larger.

I must agree on the G. rosea and their 'beauty' ..

No they aren't Flashy like a Pokie or lividum etc
But a newly molted G. rosea is like a nicely finished Black Walnut piece of funriture..

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your first T...

I agree with Atrax. E. campestratus, hands down, is the most docile species I have encountered in over 20 years of keeping T's. There are other species known for being docile. Curly hairs, most rosies, avics, and most B. smithi's.
I would suggest a pink zebra of you want to get her out and watch football with. :D

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rosea docile (I disagree)

Both my G rosea are super aggressive my male bit me and the female attemped but luckily I have cat like reflexes

page

Arachnopeon
i have decided to get the g.rosea, i have seen one in a local pet shop and he let me hold it, it seemed very friendly and i thought it looked quite good.

thanx for all your help!

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
brandi said:
Can't believe nobody's said Brachypelma yet! I think most docile, predicatble spiders I've worked with so far are B. smithi (Mex Red Knee). Occasionally I will get a little hair flicking if I startle one of them, but in general they are super mellow. B~
Ditto.....B. smithi is my 1st choice, even though mine has been a little flighty after molting. She is a doll. Her favorite hot spot is under my hair & on top of my head. These spiders will sit for hours like a rock. Perfect for gentle handling, if you aren't bored easily! {D Careful though, they can be fierce hair-kickers when startled, and mine has sent me jogging for the shower, with red, irritated hands & arms. Keep some Benadryl on hand! ;)

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
and whot do U think about the rest of avics ?? for example a.metalica ??

as for me all t's without strong venom are good for beginers , if t's is docile' its ok , if it is more agresif it will lern som respect to new keeper

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Docile Ts are good for beginners and just ones without strong venom. You should know there are many species quite aggressive, irritable and with mild venom.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
?? so whot ?? they all are good fore beginers hmm oh mayby underground species are rather reserved for advanced but its becouse U cant notice them often,,, so the newbye become bored with the spider

NickS1004

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
friendliest T?

Hi!

another dumb newbie ?

since having tarantulas, my arachnophobia has been downgraded from severe, to manageable.. now i am tempted to handle one.. but which one?

i took my first steps by letting my tiny 1/2" L. parahybana crawl over my hands, but now i want to handle one of my bigger spiders.

whats a good choice? (they're all approacing 2 inches)

G. pulchra? (this guy seems a bit skittish)
B. albop? (passes the ass test with flying colors)
avic? (scared the crap out of me when i rehoused it)
P. cancerides? (haha)

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
NickS1004 said:
Hi!

another dumb newbie ?

since having tarantulas, my arachnophobia has been downgraded from severe, to manageable.. now i am tempted to handle one.. but which one?

i took my first steps by letting my tiny 1/2" L. parahybana crawl over my hands, but now i want to handle one of my bigger spiders.

P. cancerides? (haha)
G. pulchra or B. albop are good choices. B. albop are cool.

xWARxPATHx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
NickS1004 said:
Hi!

another dumb newbie ?

P. cancerides? (haha)
My P. cancerides is about 5" now I would not even try to handle it. Avics can be skittish but I'm not too worried about them biting, plus they're so damn cute.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most Avicularia species are very docile, in terms of not biting, BUT they are fast, skittish, and like to make these spectacular flying leaps, often landing on top of your head or on your face. For someone who's even the slightest bit unnerved by spiders, that can be disturbing. Of my two G. pulchras, one is so mellow she's one evolutionary step away from being a beanbag, so she would be a perfect handleable T, although she is BIG, and you really need two hands to properly support her. Ditto for my G. aureostriata. The other, and smaller, G. pulchra I have is extremely defensive and no doubt will nail you if you mess with her! Both my B. albo's are handleable, but die-hard hair kickers, and love to web continuously while being handled. My hands look like they are wrapped in gauze after I've had one of these T's out for more than five minutes. This is also the only species that has ever made me itch, even though that is only if my hands are damp and it is not severe, and does not produce any visable reaction. Believe it or not, I have handled a huge mature male P. canerides, who was very calm, but I know that this is not common for this species at all! Then again, my three most aggressive-defensive T's are my four-inch G. pulchra and two of my adult female G. roseas!

pitbulllady

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely has to be the cancerides they are real sweeties all the others are evil...

Seriously though you should know there temperaments better than we do, in general all three of the others are great T's to handle but from the sound of it you seem most comfortable with your curly hair so that would be the one I would tell you to hold... Greg

xWARxPATHx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
Definitely has to be the cancerides they are real sweeties all the others are evil...

Seriously though you should know there temperaments better than we do, in general all three of the others are great T's to handle but from the sound of it you seem most comfortable with your curly hair so that would be the one I would tell you to hold... Greg
Great looking T.