Freshwater crabs?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im looking into freshwater crabs but dont know awhole lot about them. Does anyone have info or tank pictures? Id like to have a 10g set-up with a few crabs, and like 2 other species of fish but dont know what to get.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what kind of crabs? i dont know how many fresh water crabs there are but blue crabs can live in fresh water, they are in the lake near here

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, i had some a year or two ago, they were called "red claw" freshies:p Anyways, they basically were in a 10gal. with gravel at the bottom and a high powered filter to creat a little current, they also had chunks of driftwood for something to climb on. They were very easy to care for, and i miss them a little too:)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
red claws get territorial but as long as the fish is fast enough it might not grab fins. There's also fiddler crabs and halloween crabs that get big but they're gorgeous. If you wanted something other than crabs, you can get crayfish and lobsters as well. Blue lobsters are especially beautiful. Just give them a nice tank (I would use the gallon per inch rule) and give them lots of things to climb on. The only problem is that smaller crabs crawl into the filter and die. I think red claws prefer brackish water. I'll go find some accurate caresheets on some species for ya.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the information everyone! Fresh Water Fiddlers were what i was looking at at a petstore.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Just be warned "freshwater" is a bit of a misnomer and you'll need to have brackish water.

I've had fiddlers and even with a proper set up and care could never get them to live more than 6 months. (which might not be bad since I don't know how old they are when I bought them)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Right, the caresheets I posted gave exactly what salinity and pH you'd need.