Freshly molted Monocentropus balfouri

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My girl molted last week. Have a male waiting in the wings for her and in a week or so I'll put them together. I rehoused her since the last sac had some issues which may have been due to the climatic conditions in the habitat.
Diane

teamster6

Arachnopeon
Good luck on the breeding! I just bought a couple of those myself. They are stunning.

t6

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She looks beautiful, Diane. I have a juvie that is due for a molt soon. Crossing my fingers it's a girl. :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She's a looker Diane!I'm hoping I can have some luck with this species over here.My females nice and fat and has been refusing food.How long did it take post mating for your girl to lay?
-Chris

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Great pictures, wonderful spider.

I have a pair as well that is due to mature in a few months and I am excited.

One of the most beautiful spider species in my opinion.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's a looker Diane!I'm hoping I can have some luck with this species over here.My females nice and fat and has been refusing food.How long did it take post mating for your girl to lay?
-Chris
Took almost 4 months after the hook-up. Good luck. If both you and Tom have mated females, surely one or the other will finally succeed with this species. Last time around, I had rotted eggs in the lower part of the sac and dried up emerged 2nd instars in the upper half. How screwed up is that? Oh, well...if at first you don't succeed .....
Diane

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is nothing like a fresh molt to bring out their true beauty and she is very pretty.Best of luck with your breeding project.

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking T Di, Atleast with the minimal substrate you can see her beauty on a daily basis if you so desire. My girl is a pet whole 95% of the time...

Wishing you luck on this upcoming breeding ;)

Corey

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking T Di, Atleast with the minimal substrate you can see her beauty on a daily basis if you so desire. My girl is a pet whole 95% of the time...

Wishing you luck on this upcoming breeding ;)

Corey
Corey: She actually had six inches of substrate and a rock tower on the side she preferred. She had a web tunnel between the rocks and a piece of cork curl that I had placed to form a natural tunnel for her. But she was more often in the open than not. Guess I'm just lucky to have one that lets me see her. Diane

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I never see mine either. Female has a nice series of tunnels and is in %99 of the time.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Took almost 4 months after the hook-up. Good luck. If both you and Tom have mated females, surely one or the other will finally succeed with this species. Last time around, I had rotted eggs in the lower part of the sac and dried up emerged 2nd instars in the upper half. How screwed up is that? Oh, well...if at first you don't succeed .....
Diane
Thanks for the info Diane!That is kinda weird how half was dry and half rotted eh?Was your tank kept dry or moist?
-Chris

Robertb

Arachnopeon
God those hairs above the patella always blow my mind every time. they look like fancy leg wear hahah!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Diane!That is kinda weird how half was dry and half rotted eh?Was your tank kept dry or moist?
-Chris
There was never anything even remotely wet on the far, rocky side where she made the hammock. At about 3 weeks after she laid the sac, she carried substrate and piled it on the bottom of the hammock. I talked it over with Anastasia and we both wondered if the mother thought conditions were too dry and she was trying to keep the moisture in. When I finally gave up and accepted that there wouldn't be any spiderlings emerging, I pulled the webbing and found the bad eggs and about 3 -1st instar molts and 1 spiderling that had actually molted into 2nd instar and then cured up and died. I think there were only about 10 eggs total. and I tried using some hygroton in the new set-up and I may try using a dedicated humidifier on a timer to simulate morning dew. I've been drafting a few ideas and Corey is sending me some info he has that may alter my line of thinking.
Diane

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So aren't we supposed to keep these bone dry?
Excellant question. I have always kept mine that way, but apparently there is a monsoon season and simulating it, coupled with extreme temperature change is what triggered sac production in both my Encyocratella olivacea and Monocentropus balfouri. I think perhaps substrate that drains more thoroughly than what is normally used may be necessary. If you think about the coloring on these tarantulas, I can see them hiding in sandy, shale-type rock conditions. Don't know that for fact, just makes sense to me. I don't even know for sure where they are found on the island and the conditions are very diverse from area to area. I 'll just keep trying different things until I find the answer. It's how I do things-always willing to try a new and diverse angle.
Diane

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the info Diane and great pictures Chris. How many gravid scorpions were there on that island:)?