freezing tarantulas

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
not really, but my furnace went out and it is 50 degrees in my house. I don't want the T to get too cold, and I am kind of lost on how to proceed. Currently, I have em in the kitchen where I am using the oven to keep warm. (not IN it, though i really feel like crawling in)..I need a recommendation what to do for heat for the T....ceramic heater? under tank heater? I dont want em to cook either.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would use a heating bulb called night glo by Zoo Med. They let of heat but no light, and work well. I would use a 40 or 50 watt max. Also remeber to keep a close eye on moisture in the encloser, as these bulbs tend to dry things out.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you have glass tanks, I don't see why undertank heaters would be a bad thing? One of my spiders has one and she seems to like it, it does not get all that warm. I also use the bulbs, but I use 75 watt ones and the spiders really warm up to those.. I agree with jwb I would watch the moisture closely. I wouldn't use a rock heater, as those could over heat the T, and I wouldn't use a space heater because you can't leave the heater unsupervised, like you can with the bulbs or the undertank ones.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
buy an oil filled heater. they are dead quiet, let off a crapload of heat and are the most energy efficent of all the space heaters. And best of all they are thermostatically controlled and can be left unsupervised because they are fully enclosed. The one i got cost $70 CDN and will heat a 12X16 room boiling hot if i want to.

Mark

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i bought a space heater ...but not oil filled.....price was a factor for me as was a thermostat with NUMBERS not just a dial....most space heaters have safety features built in nowadays (tip over protection, overheat protection, etc...)...my heater, i can set it at anywhere from 60° to 80° in 5° increments or i can just turn it "ON" for constant heat and two settings HI = 1500watts and LO = 1000watts and it is "whisper quiet" compared to other forced air heaters.........$25 at walmart - Holmes 1 Touch™ Whisper Quiet POWER HEATER model:HFH2985
they sell a similar model that oscillates but it is not the whisper quiet kind......it has overheat protection and i think that is all.... but i guess it is adequate......ive left it running non stop for weeks now....even when not home....

also...notice most oil heaters are also 1500watts...i wonder if it makes a difference to use oil....maybe it retains heat longer and can heat more or something ...heck i dont know but if i had the money i might would buy an oil filled too if only i could get one with a NUMBERED thermostat......

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kosh,

My oil filled heater works as follows....turn it on full blast (it has high, med and low settings, 1500W, 1100W and 600W respectively) and once the room reaches the disired temperature you turn the dial back until you hear a click - now it will keep the room at that temp and works within 2 degrees of my set temp and i have left it on 24/7 home or not home for the past 3 months at least. The heater can turn off but the oil stays hot for a long time that is why they are good on heat because it heats for a while even after it turns off. I leave mine on medium all the time and it can get that room to 82 F in no time and keep it there accurate within 2 degrees. So not only is medium 1100W setting sufficent but it isnt on 1/2 the time saving me money on power bills.

Mark