freezers?

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
ok i have never done this only heard of people doing it.I am told it makes the fast tarantulas slower and a little sluggish the reason i am asking is i will be getting another h.lividum soon and i dont want to have the problem i had before it took me a good 45 min to get her into her enclosure she was fast as <poop> and not very nice of course about the whole ordeal,anyways my question is this how long should i leave her in the freezer for and how slow can i expect her to be and will she be ultra pissed off/.? i am also getting a tap gigas which i have heard to be fast fireballs,thanks -jason

Last edited by a moderator:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you can do that with reptiles for a VERY little while. i've only really heard of it being practically used by venom banks that deal with extremely toxic snakes so they are calmer during the process of extraction.

however, i would imagine it would easily kill a T with the extreme temperatures.

just an opinion, not based in known fact.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe not the freezer but a short duration in the fridge may work....peace..

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Maybe not the freezer but a short duration in the fridge may work
Ditto, not the freezer, maybe 5 mins or so in the fridge.

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, it's a fridge not a freezer. Never ever stick your T's in the freezer, it's just too cold! Even in the fridge, you're only supposed to leave them there for a very short time. Personally, I wouldn't use this method unless there was absolutely NO other alternative

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've tried to do this once, my A. chalcodes got a cut in her abdomen and I needed to slow her down to help her. I put her in the fridge for a few, but it didn't seem to slow her down much. She was probably in there for 2-3 minutes. I agree with the others, put it in for 5 or so ONLY if you have no other way.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
k thanks yea i was figuring the fridge someone trie telling me it was the freezer method thats why i came here to ask
well the reason why i want to do this is because with my last h.lividum i put her into her into her enclosure then bam she literally ran up and down the side of that enclosure it was about 30 mins of tryin to get her back in that was the problem im amazed that i got out of that without a bite she wasnt all that happy.So this next one id like to be able to just put the deli cup down open the lid without her bolting out and if i dont use this fridge method what method should i use what would you guys/girls do?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've put my adult P. murinus and H. gigas in the fridge for 15 mins.
It didn't hurt it at all, and slowed it way down..;)

Ernie