Free Spiderling Beggars

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
averagebehr said:
Monatany If You Want You Can Come Push It And Afew Other Things For Me Like A Broom
I have a feeling that last thing Monatony would be pushing of yours would be a broom...

As for people giving away slings... when the gimme gang come a knockin' its time to stop answering the door. Fair trade is much different than having 20 people, maybe more, PM'ing you, asking you what you might do with all your "extra" slings. Seems as soon as you have a successful sac, right after congratulations comes entitlement. I'm all for sharing, but its usually reserved for close friends, or at least to people who have earned it in some respect - other than just asking for it just because.

Last edited:

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
JacenBeers said:
I wish I could go out and catch lizards around my house but the only thing I ever see are crows.
Maybe you could train the crows to catch lizards?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you cant afford to buy spiders, you cant afford to house them properly or feed them. Therefor you shouldnt have any.

/Lelle

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
JacenBeers said:
I wish I could go out and catch lizards around my house but the only thing I ever see are crows.
give me a young crow to train to be my minion and I shall give you lizards? mwahahahahahahaha.. caugh..ahahahahahahahahaha...
okay laps in reality

I was in your position jacen till I moved to caly :p but to tell you the truth.. I think my lungs are singed and burnt and my eyes ready to fall out from the smog... I miss the clean canadian air... and the snow...

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
If you cant afford to buy spiders, you cant afford to house them properly or feed them. Therefor you shouldnt have any.

/Lelle
Okay so my bloated tick spiders that all live in glass tanks large enough for even the aboreals get 15-20 inches of climbing space and still have 6 inches of subtrate and mutliple hides are not housed properly so I shouldn't have any?

Edit: I may not have money for more but I have enough to ensure I take care of myself and my animals.. I may not have the best of life but I do have a life. and if that was true why do they try and inspire homeless to take pets.. it teaches them responsibility to take care of their animals more then they've taken care of themselves and they like me find a way to house them. keep them happy. feed them..

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Malhavoc's said:
Okay so my bloated tick spiders that all live in glass tanks large enough for even the aboreals get 15-20 inches of climbing space and still have 6 inches of subtrate and mutliple hides are not housed properly so I shouldn't have any?
If you beg for free slings because you dont have money - how can you provide for them or house them? No, I dont think beggars should have any slings for free.

If you can get large terrariums for your spiders, im sure you have the money to buy the slings just like everyone else.
Free slings to friends is one thing - begging on trade forums is another thing.

Note: Im not talking about you.

/Lelle

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The ones I have seen recently offering to adopt unwanted T's and whatnot kind of lower the signal to noise ratio in the classified forums. Legit posts and pushed down the list. I am also opposed to the whining attitude some of the posts have. Look at the price of the spiders. Would you ask some random stranger for a $20 bill or a spare $50 they aren't using right now? Oh and be sure and spend $25 to send me the spare cash. And for those of you that find this a false analogy, let me point out that in any collecting hobby where enthusiasts swap or trade to get what they want, the collectables (in this case tarantulas) are essentially a form of currency.

Another point on this. These persons doing it are probably kids with no income living at home. What assurances do we have that the parents will be cool with someone sending their kid large spiders? Helping a kid make an end run around their parents is bad news in my book.

If they are kids, then the social awkwardness of the begging is forgivable to an extent. If they are adults doing the begging, then that is another matter.

The posters that offer to buy anything available should just start paying attention to the posts offering T's for sale, especially the ones where someone has had to update their post or bump it to the top because of unsold spiders. If they were serious about buying anying anyone has available then everyone would sell out right away when they post in the FS areas.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry crot, thought you were. and acutlay I don't have money for large tanks I scrounge and work for em.. lol

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aliasx said:
Beggars will be fed to the tarantulas. ;P
Sounds like a good idea. Send me a few of the larger, more colorful species, and I'll be sure that I get fed to them. ;P

Jeri

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Cheap is good easy is better ;) as regards money to buy Vs cost of keeping it all depends on circumstances ppl like myself with large rooms with high background heat can keep 100 or even 1000's of inverts cheaply, breed your own food and cost drops again use cheap (or free) housing and costs drop again, however that does not mean they can buy every thing they want, lucky this hobby is small and prices drop quickly not to mention the large amount of slings that have to given away with some species :D

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Statistics show that when people have to pay $$ for pets, those animals are valued more and taken better care of than animals received for free. I'm sorry I can't quote the specifics, but was info I learned while working at an animal shelter. Generally much better for any animal to be transferred at some cost, be it a trade or money.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
Statistics show that when people have to pay $$ for pets, those animals are valued more and taken better care of than animals received for free. I'm sorry I can't quote the specifics, but was info I learned while working at an animal shelter. Generally much better for any animal to be transferred at some cost, be it a trade or money.
Humm if this info/figures comes from PETA/RSPCA type org's i would be sceptical of this being one of the things in there bag o' trick's to push for more and higher tax's/paid for licenses to help further control pet keeping (especially exotic's).

Of course a lot of ppl do dump pets but sadly with ppl who think in those terms its what the animal could be resold for as apposed to what if anything they gave for it that defines how much care they give it
This can be seen in the high number of unwanted and dumped high price pedigree dog’s that were a fad in some of the far eastern countries a few years back (rich ppl paying premium prices) a case of if what you have has little value after you brought it then if it becomes a problem what you paid in the first place is immaterial to its future, as stated some ppl do think of living things in those terms, were spiders and other inverts are concerned thankfully there over heads are so low most ppl can keep at least a few on a very meagre income (so long as they don’t go mad with numbers).

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I agree with the post that most of those "begging" for spiders are likely kids trying to make an end run around their parents, and, therefore, should NOT be sent T's for free.
I also agree with the original concept that it could also well be some adults trying to take advantage of people by playing on their soft side - which shows they must not know a lot about T people because those who feed baby mice to their giant spiders don't necessarily have a soft enough side to be taken in by such whining ;P
Trading is good, helping out fellow hobbiests is good, but I really don't understand the mind that could put up begging posts for spiders just because I personally don't think it's right to expect someone to do a good trade or deal with you if they know nothing about you. I mean, I'm not even saying that you have to have known the person for years, but to just do a fly by posting when you haven't even made a presence for yourself at a board (a good presence mind you) seems a little silly.

Gail

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
FryLock said:
Humm if this info/figures comes from PETA/RSPCA type org's i would be sceptical of this being one of the things in there bag o' trick's to push for more and higher tax's/paid for licenses to help further control pet keeping (especially exotic's).
I suspect ASPCA, but no longer have the paperwork. (And must say I do heartily support high cost licenses for un-neutered cats/dogs, but have not as yet had any experience with the licensing of exotics, so no opinion there.)

Of course a lot of ppl do dump pets but sadly with ppl who think in those terms its what the animal could be resold for as apposed to what if anything they gave for it that defines how much care they give it
This can be seen in the high number of unwanted and dumped high price pedigree dog’s that were a fad in some of the far eastern countries a few years back (rich ppl paying premium prices) a case of if what you have has little value after you brought it then if it becomes a problem what you paid in the first place is immaterial to its future, as stated some ppl do think of living things in those terms, were spiders and other inverts are concerned thankfully there over heads are so low most ppl can keep at least a few on a very meagre income (so long as they don’t go mad with numbers).
In my experience, though purebreds pass through (or stop at) animal shelters, the majority are mongrels. This being a relatively small community, I was usually aware of the origins of animals being dumped. Most often - in the cases of dogs, especially - the dumped would have come from free litters, eight months later when the dogs had reached adult size and the owners found themselves with large, untrained animals. It is absolutely incredible how many people will take on a pet with no idea that they will actually have to put in some time and effort in the areas of training and socializing, helping the pet to become a joy rather than a pain in the a**.

In the cases of small animals contained in cages, I would assume when people get bored with the pet, they merely forget about it and allow it to die, or release it, thinking that an animal can take care of itself. Not many of those given to the shelter here, so this is a total guess. I know I find a lot of aquariums/Kritter Keepers at the thrift shop, and often wonder what happened to the previous resident/s.

I am certain that there are some kids out there who haven't the money to buy Ts, who would greatly benefit from gift slings. The sort of kids who read every bit of info they can find, who have a serious interest in the welfare of their charges. I am equally certain there are kids who want to use Ts as shock value and have little care for the T itself. Best all around to know who freebies are going to. Otherwise, it makes sense to be sure Ts have a $$ value, so that potential owners have to Think for at least as long as it takes to open their wallets... And, if the animal does carry a resale value, it's got a better chance of being resold than treated the same as your common garden spider.