Found This Article In The Times Of India - Stupidity!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
While idle speculation can often be harmful in that it gets in the way of real investigation, I think this is one of those instances when it can be a bit of fun and completely harmless in light of the fact that none of us is likely to be flying off to India in the near future. So, with that in mind, here is my take. It should be noted that we know nothing or next to nothing about the venom of many of the species in India and that even details given in the article must be considered suspect. That being said, if we take what is stated in the article and project a bit, we can work on the following assumptions:

- The specimen in question is brownish
- The specimen in question is small enough to crawl up a finger and large enough to be stroked.
- The specimen in question comes from the range indicated in the article -- so Gujarat and surrounding area. Google map it for an idea of terrain.
- The effects of the venom are systemic but not fatal. Here there is a lot of room for debate. The "high" could merely be a result of the body's own endorphins -- similar to what you experience during tattooing. Alternately, the "Authority's" take that this is a "deadly trade" could be accurate, but is more likely the result of the same sort of ignorance that has people declaring our hobby to be dangerous. It is also entirely possible that the people interviewed were using other substances at the same time, lied about the experience or the journalist just made stuff up.

So with that in mind:

Cercophonius himalayensis
As the specific epithet suggests, this is found in northeastern India -- well away from the location in the article.

Androctonus spp.
A possibility, depending on colouration and size (I don't have appropriate papers ... or at least I don't think I do and I'm not about to hunt). That being said, I am skeptical because I would assume a much more severe and less pleasant systemic reaction would be relatively common. That being said, if it is, indeed a "deadly trade" then this is a prime suspect.

Baloorthochirus becvari
Potentially a species based on range, but likely to be too small to be stroked.

Buthoscorpio spp.
A possibility.

Charmus spp.
A more Southernly range.

Compsobuthus spp.
Solid match on range. Don't know much else.

Hemibuthus crassimanus
Possible. Matches the range and physical description.

Himalayotityobuthus spp.
Should be out of range, being found in India/Nepal and being only recently described. I doubt it ranges the entire country West-to-East but has evaded detection until recently.

Hottentotta spp.
Right size and distribution.

Isometrus spp.
Another apparently peninsular/eastern genus on the whole. So possible but unlikely.

Lychas spp.
When all species are taken into account, a very large distribution. Possible.

Mesobuthus spp.
See Hottentotta.

Odontobuthus odonturus
Too light/yellow to match the description in the paper.

Orthochirus spp.
See Baloorthochirus.

Vachonus spp.
Distribution too far North.

Chaerilus spp.
Restricted to the himalayas so not a contender.

Euscorpiops spp., Neoscorpiops spp., Scorpiops spp.
Also seem to be himalayan in their range, stretching across the northeastern border of India.

Chiromachetes spp.
Too big and I suspect too mild on the venom. Also, out of range.

Iomacus spp.
The venom is likely too mild on these species.

Liocheles australasiae
WAY out of range.

Heterometrus spp.
I think we can rule this one out on the basis of size and appearance.

Nebo henjamicus
Not sure on the distribution here, as the catalogue indicates Iran. If it is a case of island-hopping, though, then the area in question is a strong contender for having picked it up. Regardless, I'd be interested in knowing how this record came to be.

So that's my preliminary take on the matter. I encourage others to add to this so we can see if we can narrow it down further. Obviously we won't know for sure what species (singular or plural) is being used, but the exercise itself can be interesting.

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
India is basically closed to export. That being said, some of the species mentioned have an extensive range and can be gotten in the pet trade -- particularily if you aren't picky about subspecies. I.maculatus, L.mucronatus, o_Odonturus, M.tamulus and H.swammerdami are all in the pet trade, though not overly common. I am keeping or have kept these species with the exception of I.maculatus.

Cheers,
Dave

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
"...in light of the fact that none of us is likely to be flying off to India in the near future."

Sounds like Dave wants to party{D .

"Alternately, the "Authority's" take that this is a "deadly trade" could be accurate, but is more likely the result of the same sort of ignorance that has people declaring our hobby to be dangerous. "

Yeah, that seems to be the "Authority's" line on anything they don't want you to do. Just adds to the forbidden fruit aspect of it though;) .