found something odd in my cricket box

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've just found this little grub wandering round in my cricket tub and was wondering if anyone had an idea what it was? Would it be safe to feed my T's?

Attachments

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know what they are,sorry,but I get them all the time in my cricket boxes.
Chid

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) i fed em to my Ts , they go down just as well .
my b.vagans , uber pig that it is will expend energy chasing one down n eating it even though its such a tiny morsel.:rolleyes:
oh , ive added to my little collection:D 2 trinidad chevrons , 1 curly hair n 1 bolivian white knee , which along with crickets , 3 packs of substrate all came to £60.00 , well £59.00 really but i told my supplier to keep the change:rolleyes: all the spiders were the size of 10pence pieces , well a little larger actaully:) he tried to tempt me with a teeny little red knee s,ling and a t,blondi the size of my hand but you cant have to much of a good thing;P

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:? ok , im pretty tired n need to get some sleep but ive been quickly searching around the web:p and cant seem to find info on the bolivian white knee , a.insubtilis :? anybody here on this site with all there vast wealth of expertise , wisdom and knowledge know of this tarantula? think i know how to kiss ass or what;P :rolleyes:

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
what you have there is a grub that is used in cricket colonies to "dispose of" dead crickets. if you put it in your tank, it will probably dig and you will never hear from it again--but it will eat your ex-cricket pieces. of course, this does not mean normal housekeeping of the tank is forgiven--sorry!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are Dermestid beetle larvae (Dermestes maculatus), museums often use them to strip away dead flesh from dead amimals to allow mounting of skeletons. They are completely harmless to your T, as they only eat flesh thats beginning to rot. They probably do a good job of cleaning up any bits of dead prey organisms in the tank that you may have missed, and i woud have thought they are fine for tarantulas to eat.

cheers,

Dan.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Bear with me here. Has anyone ever watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? This little thing reminds me of those little grubs Khan put in Chekov and Capt. Terrell's ears to control them.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes. It makes me wonder.....hmmmmmmm.......I'd watch out if I were you Lostkat. :D

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
Bear with me here. Has anyone ever watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? This little thing reminds me of those little grubs Khan put in Chekov and Capt. Terrell's ears to control them.
*shudder* I totally remember that... and it gave me nightmares for a long time.

kellygirl

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
*shudder* I totally remember that... and it gave me nightmares for a long time.

kellygirl
That has always been my fave Star Trek movie. But the grubs in the ears thing was pretty gross.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do believe that has to be the weirdest thing I have ever freakin' heard. Congradulations. lol.

Marcus

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha yeah Godz, it does look like one of those :)
I haven't seen them available anywhere though.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ephesians
I do believe that has to be the weirdest thing I have ever freakin' heard. Congradulations. lol.

Marcus
Dude! Just watch Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and you'll get what I mean. It's freaky that that grub looks like the mind controling grubs Khan put in the ears of Chekov and Terrell. Eeerie!!! :eek: *checks her crickets in their luxury accomodations.* Nope. No weird looking grubs in there.

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Think I'll feed it to one of my beasts pronto. Don't want it escaping and crawling into my ear in the middle of the night :p ... I'm already in grave danger of getting an ear infection from this damn cold anyway :) *sniff*

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lostkat
Think I'll feed it to one of my beasts pronto. Don't want it escaping and crawling into my ear in the middle of the night :p ... I'm already in grave danger of getting an ear infection from this damn cold anyway :) *sniff*
That would be a very good thing. But if you find yourself susceptible to suggestion, no matter how insanely ridiculous the request is, then you should have a reason to worry.