Found pair of Rosehairs.....

MichaelH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bought a pair of Rosehairs today, $26 for the pair. Female is about 4" and the male is closer to 5". Possible breeding project goin on here I hope. Have never bred any Tarantulas before, but have basic idea from reading about it. Will have to study up on it some more on it though. Have heard Rosehairs are easy to breed and have also heard they're hard to breed....any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Questions I have are.......

What age do Rosehairs usually reach sexual maturity?

How do you know when they are both ready to mate?

Does the female have to be freshly/recently molted?

How hard is it to keep the male from being killed?

Thanks in advance.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
1 from the sizes you say they should be ready to breed as long as the male is mature
2 they are ready to mate when the male is mature the female should allready be ready
3 no she doesn't have to be but it is usually a good idea
4 not too hard as long as she is well fed bfore hand and you know what you are looking for. if she swats at him then get him out I guess would be the best way to put it.

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a little over 200. Don't know if that's average since it was my first and unexpected "litter". :)

MichaelH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That wouldnt be too bad. As a first time attempt at breeding thats the only thing that really makes me kinda nervous...being overwhelmed with hundreds of little spiderlings...lol.

I found out from the guy I bought the pair from that the male molted 2 months ago and made his sperm web so I'm pretty sure he's ready to go.

The females last molt was 4 months ago so I'm wondering if it would be ok to try to go ahead and mate them or if I should wait until her next molt?