Found me a snake (and brought him home)

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Basking on a country road near Cache Oklahoma. I'm thinking king snake, but not sure. About 4 ft long, and docile enough that he rode home with no problems, and posed for pics too (much to the delight of a VERY curious kitty)

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it's definitly a type of ratsnake,but i'm not which 1,the pic looks alittle discolored,awesome snake by the way:clap:

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say its a Texas Ratsnake, but I'm not sure if they occur in Oklahoma, and I'm too lazy to look it up lol.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
David, you're the second one who says Texas Rat Snake. Thanks

Will he do well in captivity?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have heard that texas rat snakes are very aggressive... then again each animal is different, yes it will do well in captivity provided you get ity switched to commercial rodents that are thawed... It COULD be a cornsnake as well, I have seen color morphs that look like that... but I think its some other type of rat snake. Good luck and keep us posted.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
His belly is all white, doesnt have the color speck pattern of a corn snake

He gaped at and lunged at my shoe halfheartedly a time or two. My shoe kept him distracted so I could pick him up - he didnt seem to mind being held, and I had my hands around his head and he didnt gape or anything

He (she?) hissed at the cat once but didnt go after it. Ended up slithering up my pant leg to hide in there.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's a red-phase TX Ratsnake. Not all of 'em are aggressive, and by far the worse ones I've seen are the captive-bred(and INbred)leucistics. I've got a female just like this, that came out of Louisiana(though they REALLY hate for me to call it a TEXAS Ratsnake down there, lol). Most Rats settle down quickly once they realize you won't hurt 'em.

pitbulllady

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ha tell that to the rat snake I had. They're fun snakes to keep though.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everyone has already told you, but is IS a Texas Ratsnake... I live in Texas and saw 4 last night while herping. They might not be the BEST pet snake, but they kinda calm down a bit the longer you keep them. It should eat very easily for you... Good luck!

Graham

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone - He introduced himself to mew when I was transferring him to his new digs. He either realized my hand wasnt food or figured he'd shown me how tough he was and he let go

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's just a corn snake...no type of rattle snake...and its not its relative the rat snake...it is an actually corn snake...and the color of it could just be dull for the need of a shed. I have had many corn snakes...thats just a corn snake.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isn't a cornsnake a species/subspecies of ratsnake? I know they are both in the genus Elaphe.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's just a corn snake...no type of rattle snake...and its not its relative the rat snake...it is an actually corn snake...and the color of it could just be dull for the need of a shed. I have had many corn snakes...thats just a corn snake.
I said that may be a corn but I doubt it, it really does look like a Texas ratsnake. We ALL knew it was not a rattler... No its eye are clear its not going in for a shed anytime soon.

For the record I say its a Texas ratsnake.

squamata99

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Google "Texas rat snake" for images and you'll see what us Texan's are talking about. Black rats look much the same also when young.

-Rene-

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My gf has a seven-foot Texas Rat, and that looks exactly like it. Raised from a baby, can still be nippy sometimes.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Texas! could maybe be a corn, but I've vote for the Texas.

For the record, the corn snake is also known as a red rat snake. Very similar to the black and Texas.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is NOT a Corn, and nobody said it even looked remotely like a rattlesnake. It's a red Texas Rat, and here is my female for comparison. She is CB out of a wild-caught female from Southwestern Louisiana and a Lloyd Lemke stock male.

pitbulllady

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bad boy got measured today - somewhere around 50-51 inches.

Now if I can figure out if "he" is a he or a she