Found a wheel bug

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally found a wheel bug (Arilus cristatus). I've never been able to find one so it's been a good day. I set her up in a sterilite tub that used to be used for a tarantula. It has holes around the side that aren't big enough for her to get out but she's laid a group of eggs on the side. The holes are definitely big enough for the nymphs to escape when they hatch. Is it safe to remove the eggs? It doesn't look to me like I'll be able to move them without damaging them. Should I just put the tub into a bigger container? How long does it usually take the eggs to hatch and is there anything I need to do to keep them from dying?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I once had A. cristatus eggs from a female that I had captured. I put them outside for the winter, and when I brought them back in sometime in March, they hatched in 3-4 weeks. I am not sure if/or how long it takes them to hatch if left indoors. The nymphs matured in about 6 weeks! They can also be kept together. Good luck!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it possible to hot glue a piece of screen over the holes? Might be the easiest way to go. Annother possibility is to put a thin coat of vaseline around the hloes to keep the nymphs from getting to them.

Wade

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade said:
Is it possible to hot glue a piece of screen over the holes? Might be the easiest way to go. Annother possibility is to put a thin coat of vaseline around the hloes to keep the nymphs from getting to them.

Wade
Hmmm....those options are so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of them. :eek: Thanks Wade. I've got some screen sitting around here somewhere so I'll try that. It's nylon screen so will they be able to get through it somehow? I'm still reading up on them but haven't found anything to answer that question.

I'm hoping she lays more eggs. So far there's only four in there. Maybe she deposited others before I found her.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the advice.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Since they do not have chewing mouthparts, they should not be able to get through nylon screen. Feeder crickets may be able to, however.

Wade

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone know of someone that can get a few wheel bugs, and other native assassins and kissing bugs? I've been looking for a while with no luck at all. It sucks I live in northern ohio, I can't go catch any!
Steve

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Drosera123 said:
Does anyone know of someone that can get a few wheel bugs, and other native assassins and kissing bugs? I've been looking for a while with no luck at all. It sucks I live in northern ohio, I can't go catch any!
Steve

When late spring and summer arrives you should be able to find many nice reduviids in your area (Arilus cristatus occurs in Ohio). Look on low vegetation during the day and under very well lit areas at night.

Alex S.

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have only found/caught two. One bit me while opening the cage once. They are both dead now and mounted. Fun to watch feed though. I never had eggs to deal with though.