Found a very large garden spider, read on..

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This particular arachnid resembles the argitrope(sp?) family, black and yellow, and over 2 inches long. My neighbors called me over since I am the "spider lady" to remove her because they thought such a large spider would be very poisonous and they have kids. When I saw this large arachnid resting among the tomato plants, I calmed their fears, but they asked me to move her just the same. So I carefully scooted her into a container I would normally use for larger aboreals and brought her in the house with the intention of putting her in the garden with my tomato plants. I tried to get her to eat a cricket and let her calm down before I had to move her again. Silly me, I should have done that as soon as I got her. You see, this arachnid was a very fat and I thought that strange since she looks like those argitropes (again, excuse the spelling) and they are not normally that round. I thought maybe she's gravid, so there was another reason to get her into my garden soon. I really should have gotten her settled in the garden right away, because to my surpised (and yet not surprised) eyes there was a huge egg sac suspended from the top of the container. This egg sac is about 2 inches long and about 2 inches in diameter! I can only imagine to how many eggs this thing must contain. Now I am wondering, what the heck can I do now? I guess I might as well keep her until the eggs hatch. How long does it take for an egg sac of this type of arachnid to hatch? Any suggestions are welcome. I guess my garden is going to get an influx of new tenants.

Laura

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The eggs won't hatch until next year if left outside. I am not sure of the time if kept indoors. You might have to give them some time in the cool for awhile in order to hatch. Some arachnids and insects from temperate climates have to go thru "winter" in order to hatch but I am not sure about thr argiope.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
take a tooth pick stab it through the top of the 'tear drop' egg sac[the usual shape for ariogrops..spelling..] and suspend it like that in your garden attatched to plant sheltered away from the rain and possibly snow if you get it. it will most likely hatch

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unless you are ready to feed all the little "mouths", I suggest, too, putting the eggsacs outside, along with the mother. I would just snare the silk supporting the eggsacs and then rub or tangle them off on a plant in a protective type spot. If you aren't going to pull your tomatoes after they die, then that's a fine spot. Otherwise, look for a quiet part of your landscape, a spot that you won't mess with in the fall or winter.

Since the mother dies in the winter, it matters less that she stays near them than that the spot they are in is protected (under) plant matter.

("Argiope")

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The spider that Laura has found is the exact same one that MizM has posted a picture of on this board a little further down. I have never seen an Argiope as large as this one is even after she has made her egg sack. I have other argiopes of this kind in my garden (this was found next door) and none have gotten as large as she has. We will find a place in the garden to put her and her egg sack as you have suggested. We do get snow here in NJ sometimes quite a lot so we will find a protected area. Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Sharon

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The egg sac is a tear drop shape and the way its set shouldn't be hard to move. I have a very nice shady spot on the side of the house that would probably be perfect, there are bushes that would probably shelter them from the snow and pouring rain.

Laura