Found a scorpion in Iraq

Jorsher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

This is only the second one of these I've seen in nearly a year. The first one was during summer at night, which is probably when I should expect it. This one was walking around during daytime in winter, which seems strange, right?

Know what it is?

I put it in a box and gave it a little place to use as a home. It pushed the sand to the entrance and built a small pile. We don't have much alive here during the summer, and far less during the winter. There are ants and termites, but they're deep underground and seem too small to make a meal out of. There are camel "spiders," however I haven't seen one in months and they are FAST. Crickets I haven't seen here.

We found a black beetle, however the scorpion seems uninterested. At one point, the beetle was literally riding the scorpion -- standing on its back as the scorpion walked around. I've motivated the beetle into the scorpions home, and it doesn't care.

The scorpion does seem aggressive. It's tried attacking with both its pincers and tail.

Simply isn't hungry?

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Probably eats small inverts. Not sure what is in Iraq, but I'm sure therre is something :) Also, looks like P. transvaaliscus. Not great with scorps, but a black scorpion with a huge tail and aggresive nature fits that species to a tee. Cool find, wish I could find thise in the US :/ Hope it does well with you :D

Jorsher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have seen lizards, but they're very rare and I haven't seen them in months. You don't realize how lifeless a desert truly is until you're looking for life to feed something...

I was thinking it was actually an androctonus crassicauda. At least, it's the most similar-looking on the "arachnids of Iraq" chart we have.

I should find the picture of what appears to be a tarantula. It was just hanging out in the road when I was walking. Have never seen another.

I'll upload a video of the scorp soon. Internet isn't the best here.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Looks really hungry and hunting. I know you live in a desert, but are there any pet stores near you? If not, then maybe you could order off of the internet. Otherwise, like you said, there isn't much in the wild. If you get pics of the beetle you were talking about, it could explain it. I know superworm beetles don't do well with many inverts. They give off a terrible smell and seem to be unappealing to them.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
+1 for Androctonus crassicauda. Wouldn't want him sharing my bunk!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
You may wanna try like a piece of warm meat or something. It may take it if hungry enough.

Jorsher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks really hungry and hunting. I know you live in a desert, but are there any pet stores near you? If not, then maybe you could order off of the internet. Otherwise, like you said, there isn't much in the wild. If you get pics of the beetle you were talking about, it could explain it. I know superworm beetles don't do well with many inverts. They give off a terrible smell and seem to be unappealing to them.
I don't think there are. We're kind of in the middle of nowhere. Even if there are, I'm not allowed to leave. Military base. I've considered ordering online, but I think even if they get through customs, they won't survive the 6-8 week journey and extreme temperatures.

The beetle is a black "fog drinking beetle" aka "fog basking beetle" aka variant of the Namib Beetle. I just found this out yesterday. Interesting bugs ;) Now I understand the oddly-long rear legs.

+1 for Androctonus crassicauda. Wouldn't want him sharing my bunk!
Yeah I just want to watch it eat and then will set it free -- somewhere far from us. I've been told I should kill it, but that's just mean.

You may wanna try like a piece of warm meat or something. It may take it if hungry enough.
Will they actually eat it? I've been under the assumption they'll only eat something that's living, but I haven't tried anything else. Bugs aren't warm, are they? So don't think it'll need to be warm, but again -- not sure.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I don't think there are. We're kind of in the middle of nowhere. Even if there are, I'm not allowed to leave. Military base. I've considered ordering online, but I think even if they get through customs, they won't survive the 6-8 week journey and extreme temperatures.

The beetle is a black "fog drinking beetle" aka "fog basking beetle" aka variant of the Namib Beetle. I just found this out yesterday. Interesting bugs ;) Now I understand the oddly-long rear legs.

Yeah I just want to watch it eat and then will set it free -- somewhere far from us. I've been told I should kill it, but that's just mean.

Will they actually eat it? I've been under the assumption they'll only eat something that's living, but I haven't tried anything else. Bugs aren't warm, are they? So don't think it'll need to be warm, but again -- not sure.
Let me rephrase it a bit, by warm I meant room temperature so don't give it something that just came of the refrigerator.

He may take it. Just move the meat near him with some tweezers and he may go for it. My P.villosus takes dead baby mice like that if I giver her any leftovers.

Jorsher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Let me rephrase it a bit, by warm I meant room temperature so don't give it something that just came of the refrigerator.

He may take it. Just move the meat near him with some tweezers and he may go for it. My P.villosus takes dead baby mice like that if I giver her any leftovers.
Gotcha! I'll try that out. The beetle and scorp seem to be good friends.

We did have mice. Not sure if any are left. Seems stinky and messy, but if it comes down to it...

brolloks

Arachnobaron
I doubt it will eat the beetle as it might not actually be able to due to the hard exoskeleton of the beetle.

Nice looking scorp though, just watch it does not get a foothold and climb out of that box :rofl:

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your scorpion may not be interested in eating anything because of the time of year. Generally, scorpions aren't active now in climates that have hot summers but fairly cool winters, like Iraq. Prey isn't very abundant and the temperature is too cold for a scorpion to be very mobile. You also state that it was found during the daytime, which is a little unusual. Maybe it was disturbed from its overwintering place and was wandering around looking for somewhere else to hide.

Live invertebrate prey is best for a scorpion. If you keep the scorpion until the spring time you'll probably find more insects to feed it and the warmer weather will give it back it's 'appetite'. For now, I would keep it somewhere quiet and dark and occasionally offer it water, or release it into an area with lots of places for it to hide, away from people.

And, if you can get stuff shipped over to you, order yourself a UV torch. Come the spring you'll find loads more scorpions at night with a UV light!