Fossorial Burrowing Species - How to judge their size

dr89

Arachnopeon
I have three Australian species of spiders, two tarantulas and a wishbone spider. A lot of advise relates to the relative size of the spider (like size of feeder crickets).
Issue is, all three of them are burrowing kinds and probably nocturnal too. I haven't had a good look in months.
What's a good way to judge their body lengths?

I can sometimes see the back of the tarantulas hanging near the top of the burrows, but it they are facing me abdomen first as though they're trying to moon me.
Is there a way to use circumstantial evidence to determine how large a spider is? (like the diameter of a burrow's opening?)

quirinus

Arachnoknight
surveillance camera
to record them when outside..
except for that?
Follow advice above..

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, it's hard lol. I feed them after a molt really well a couple times, then it's their job to come out far enough to see the abdomen if they want fed again lol. Doesn't always work but 9 times out of 10 if I don't see it come out at all, it's already fat and I'm worrying and overfeeding.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Take a picture of them beside a quarter or something or just estimate there size.

dr89

Arachnopeon

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Tbh I never understood the appeal of a T that you don't even see often enough to tell how big it's become.. the argument that it makes seeing them more special and exciting when they do come out makes even less sense to me😅

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Tbh I never understood the appeal of a T that you don't even see often enough to tell how big it's become.. the argument that it makes seeing them more special and exciting when they do come out makes even less sense to me
😅
They come out regularly, just often in the hours most people are asleep. My T's are most active between the hours of midnight-5 AM, and often I see them wandering their enclosures late at night.

When they do show themselves, they're often spectacular. See: Cyriopagopus lividus

Here is an example of when my pet hole makes an appearance and looks around. This was taken around 2 AM.
20230912_004518.jpg
20230912_010547.jpg
20230912_011918.jpg
How often your T is out and about has a lot to do with a few things I think--I've noticed sling size and temperament play a large role.

Something I also noticed that is touched on often is proper enclosure set up, when your enclosure is set up properly, the T is quite comfortable in using the entire enclosure as a "burrow/hide" and will often sit in the open or just at the entrance of the burrow.

Last edited:

Spinnenfritzi

Arachnopeon
My fossoriels are also seen every night.
Something I also noticed that is touched on often is proper enclosure set up, when your enclosure is set up properly, the T is quite comfortable in using the entire enclosure as a "burrow/hide" and will often sit in the open or just at the entrance of the burrow.
I have come to the same conclusion
PXL_20231004_150342947.jpg