Forest scorpions

Emp. scorpion

Arachnopeon
How do you tell the difference between a Heterometrus spinifer(forest scorpion) and a Heterometrus longimanus(forest scorpion)? Any information would be helpful. Please post pictures of the two types of scorpions if you have pictures of them.
Thanks

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a couple of H. spinifer sold as H. longimanus. I have pics in an older thread, here they are again. I don't have any H. longimanus. Maybe someone will post pics of their H. longimanus and more H. spinifer pics.

Emp. scorpion

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your help. I found out that my scorpions are Heterometrus laoticus. When I purchased them it only described them as Forest Scorpions.
Thanks again!

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all your help. I found out that my scorpions are Heterometrus laoticus. When I purchased them it only described them as Forest Scorpions.
Thanks again!
Pictures would still be better. :} Congrats.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a nice long thread! I can't look at enough pics:) . Here is a site with some general info on Heterometrus. I didn't know there were so many Heterometrus sp. Anybody know how many sp there are? ha, yea I was kinda trolling for more longi pics. Oops, here's that other site I was talking about.

I just bought H. laoticus at Petco being sold as P. imperator.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ometrus+laoticus%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&as_qdr=all

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...I didn't know there were so many Heterometrus sp. Anybody know how many sp there are?...
From the Scorpion Files Site it looks like 33

Heterometrus Ehrenberg, 1828
H. barberi (Pocock, 1900)
H. beccaloniae Kovarik, 2004*
H. bengalensis (C. L. Koch, 1841)
H. cimrmani Kovarik, 2004*
H. cyaneus (C. L. Koch, 1836)
H. flavimanus (Pocock, 1900)
H. fulvipes (C. L. Koch, 1837)
H. gravimanus (Pocock, 1894)
H. indus (DeGeer, 1778)
H. kanarensis (Pocock, 1900)
H. keralaensis Tikader & Bastawade, 1983
H. laoticus Couzijn, 1981
H. latimanus (Pocock, 1894)
H. liophysa (Thorell, 1888)
H. liurus (Pocock, 1897)
H. longimanus (Herbst 1800)
H. madraspatensis (Pocock, 1900)
H. mysorensis Kovarik, 2004*
H. nepalensis Kovarik, 2004*
H. petersii (Thorell, 1876)
H. phipsoni (Pocock, 1893)
H. rolciki Kovarik, 2004*
H. scaber (Thorell, 1876)
H. sejnai Kovarik, 2004*
H. serratus (Pocock, 1900)
H. spinifer (Ehrenberg, 1828)
H. swammerdami Simon, 1872
H. thorellii (Pocock, 1892)*
H. tibetanus Lourenço, Qi & Zhu, 2005*
H. tristis (Henderson, 1919)
H. ubicki Kovarik, 2004*
H. wroughtoni (Pocock, 1899)
H. xanthopus (Pocock, 1897)

I picked up two H spinifers as P imps at 'Petland' I got one for only 7$ (talked him down due to its aggressiveness)

Thaedion

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe this should be a topic for another thread but, anybody keeping H. wroughtoni? It looks interesting to me. I'm assuming it's not available.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont recall ever seeing it. With so many of those sp looking so similar and from overlapping territories I wonder what all is actually in the hobby and whats not. Many Heteros are imported in as the wrong species. I am not all that read up on IDing them like others are so I'm not much use.
My H laoticus were labled as H spinifer and alot of the WC specimens are labeled as spinifer although I would venture to say more laoticus are floating around than anything at least here in the USA.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm with you on that Brian. I've been hitting the local pet stores looking for a good mistake:) .

From the Scorpion Files Site it looks like 33

I picked up two H spinifers as P imps at 'Petland' I got one for only 7$ (talked him down due to its aggressiveness)

Thaedion

Ha! I just noticed you found H. spinifer in a store and talked it down to $7 because of it's aggressiveness. That's magic. I bet you could talk the price of a fish down because it's wet.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a nice long thread! I can't look at enough pics:) . Here is a site with some general info on Heterometrus. I didn't know there were so many Heterometrus sp. Anybody know how many sp there are? ha, yea I was kinda trolling for more longi pics. Oops, here's that other site I was talking about.

I just bought H. laoticus at Petco being sold as P. imperator.
Just watch out cause I scooped some (what I thought was H laoticus, sold as P imp) from petco, but I seriously started to doubt laoticus and leaning more twoards H petersii. I need to get them out of they're tank and then use the ID keys from Georges heterometrus thread.Stupid me I looked for about 1 minute when I got them and said "ah, they're laoticus" and threw them back in. I'm not doubting you one bit, but it would suck to think laoticus and then buy yourself more from a differnt place and they end up being different species.

Michael did a great job of summing up the heterometrus species, but heterometrus is (like most scorpion taxonomy) all whacked out. Many species have different subspecies too, that you may or have have not seen described around here on AB's.

EX)
- spinifer - spinifer spinifer
- spinifer solitarius
- petersii - petersii petersii
- petersi luzonensis
- petersii mindanaensis
- longimanus - longimanus longimanus
- longimanus tarawakanensis
- longimanus humilis
- longimanus belitungenesis
- longimanus marmoratus
- longimanus borneensis
- longimanus augustimanus

If any of that is out of date, please correct. (Alex or Dave would know)

Cheers all.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea, I know they are H. laoticus..... I think, ha. I had an old thread trying to ID other H. laoticus that I thought were H. petersii but they turned out to be H. laoticus. These are fit the mold but, I could be surprised. I have seen some of those subspecies but no, I didn't know there were so many subspecies and it looks like it's still growing:confused: .