Food for slings

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I found a little colony of termites before and I put them in a container with wood and stuff for them. Their population have proliferated, so I was thinking of making them the main food source for my slings. This way, I don't have to order pinhead crix or cut up meal worms anymore. Is it ok to feed the slings termites?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most probably your slings will become food for the termites....

Also i think that ants and termites produce some kind of acid which might prove fatal for your slings.

Conclusion: stick to their present diet!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have fed my smallest slings worker termites of the genus Reticulotermes(sp?) "subterranean termites". There were no ill side effects, but they don't seem to fatten up the T's at all, leaving me to believe they may not be that nutritious, compared to pinheads, but they are far easier to work with, just be sure not to feed your slings the soldiers, they are dangerous despite their size.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never tried feeding them to T's, but I have fed them to frogs. There was never any problem and I've always read that wild termites are very nutritious, at least for amphibs. Many insectivores include termites in their diets. I've never heard of anything negative coming out of it. Just don't let the little suckers loose in your house:)
Mike