Fleas & Ticks? Hemolymph feast?

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am just curious about this, dont have an issue or anything...but thought I would ask.

Can tarantula's, or spiders in general be bothered (bitten or become host) to/by fleas and ticks? I have a dog, which I of course take outside everday. I know that spiders hemolymph is different than mammal blood, and didn't know if they would still feast on it or just stay away. I have never heard of anything like that happening, just wondering...

So, what do you think?

Do they even pose a threat or is it something that only my dog would need protection from?

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think so. I thought fleas were attracted to body heat. Not so sure about ticks though, since I think reptiles can get them.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I know ticks and fleas have an uncanny ability to detect blood (read it somewhere but dont remember where, or how far they can sense it). Probably body heat too...I know they love white. (I have seen exterminators swear by the white sock test.)

I imagine I already know the answer to this question, which in theory is no...but hoping someone could verify a yes or no. I dont know about the composition of T blood, so not sure if I may be even close to right or wrong.