Flea Treatment

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Glory, I hope you can find someone to watch your T until your house is safe! If you had a friend or family keep it at their place, even in a closet, you could stop by and feed/water it once or twice per week.

This makes me slightly concerned, as I have cats of my own and live in a studio apartment. They don't go outside, but they recently had fleas anyway (which I think came in through the window, since I live on the ground floor and there's a stray that walks by often). I recently had them on Revolution, which is a topical medication that goes on the backs of their necks each month. Anyone know if the fumes could be harmful to Ts, even if it's just a small spot of stuff that goes directly on the cat?

jphoenix

Arachnopeon
Glory, I hope you can find someone to watch your T until your house is safe! If you had a friend or family keep it at their place, even in a closet, you could stop by and feed/water it once or twice per week.

This makes me slightly concerned, as I have cats of my own and live in a studio apartment. They don't go outside, but they recently had fleas anyway (which I think came in through the window, since I live on the ground floor and there's a stray that walks by often). I recently had them on Revolution, which is a topical medication that goes on the backs of their necks each month. Anyone know if the fumes could be harmful to Ts, even if it's just a small spot of stuff that goes directly on the cat?

The active ingredient in Revolution is selamectin which is absorbed systemically after application. Once systemic, it gets redistributed to other parts of the body such as the sebaceous glands of the skin.

Point of the above: unless your T is crawling around on your cat, it should not be exposed. Just be sure to wash your hands well after the application of the Revolution (or, preferably, wear gloves while applying) and before tending to your T. There are really no fumes associated with Revolution. The odor that you are detecting is due to alcohol, one of its inactive ingredients.

Hope this helps to put your mind at ease. :)

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The active ingredient in Revolution is selamectin which is absorbed systemically after application. Once systemic, it gets redistributed to other parts of the body such as the sebaceous glands of the skin.

Point of the above: unless your T is crawling around on your cat, it should not be exposed. Just be sure to wash your hands well after the application of the Revolution (or, preferably, wear gloves while applying) and before tending to your T. There are really no fumes associated with Revolution. The odor that you are detecting is due to alcohol, one of its inactive ingredients.

Hope this helps to put your mind at ease. :)
Indeed it does! Thanks very much. :) I think I'll keep using Revolution as a preventative measure, so the fleas never get a chance to really infest my place. I would have no place to put my Ts if I ever had to resort to chemical warfare...

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Which flea IGRs are toxic/fatal to tarantulas?
Any which inhibit the synthesis of chitin. IGRs don't act as direct IGRs in arachnids since spiders don't have a larva, pupa stage, etc. But, IGRs do interfere with chitin production and can cause long term ill effects in arachnids. Tarantulas may tolerate indirect exposure for awhile, but regular small amounts are additive. IGRs don't break down quickly in the environment, so inadvertent repeated indirect exposure is probable. Direct exposure can cause 'burns' or 'ulcers' in the exoskeleton. Compromised exoskeleton leads to dehydration, leads to death. Lesions from direct exposure can potentially be 'sealed' with one of the cyanoacrylates and hope the lesion 'molts out'.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have four cats who are indoor/outdoor guys. Only two of the cats come in once the weather warms up. So, every spring I start using Frontline on the two cats that come in. If fleas pop up before we start to use the Frontline we keep the cats in as much as possible and after a few days or weeks the fleas are gone. It's worked the last two years. I've got a pretty hefty collection and would hate to have to flea bomb the house.:eek:

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last summer we had an bad flea problem that went undetected until it was bad. Both cats were miserable at that point, so I got Frontline spray. I had used it before when we had fewer Ts without any problems. The small bottle is enough to last both cats through the flea season for 2 years at least. We got ours off ebay for $8 +shipping. You spray the cat down, work the wetness down to the skin(gloves are recommended) and then lock it in a room that the T isn't in to dry.(I lock ours in the bathroom for a couple hours) I scrubbed every inch of my arms with hot water and soap, and the towels and clothes went directly in the washing machine, and washed in hot water. Once the cats were dry, it took a day or so for their fur to loose the stiffness and then it took a week or so for all the fleas in the carpet to die. It lasts for 3 months or more. Fleas need to feed on the cat, if they can't get on the cat; they starve and die out. No need to put chemicals in/ on the house that will remain and be possible hazards to the health of your T. Treat the cat, not the house.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm gonna have to look into the spray. I've been forking out almost $30 a month for two applications for our cats the last several years. Thanks for chiming in Sarah. You might have saved me a bit of money which makes me {D!!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm gonna have to look into the spray. I've been forking out almost $30 a month for two applications for our cats the last several years. Thanks for chiming in Sarah. You might have saved me a bit of money which makes me {D!!
No problem! :) It can be pricey up-front unless you find a deal on ebay(I recommend), but is well worth it. A little goes a long way, so one bottle is several years of protection. One of our cats was actually avoiding the carpet altogether and hopping from pieces of furniture, or tearing from one room to the next to get to where she was going fast. She was down on the carpet the first day. I am unsure how the problem got as bad as fast as it did, but I got on ebay, ordered on Sat. and received it on Monday. :)

Rue

Arachnoknight
Frontline contains fipronil. Fipronil is great for ticks! Fipronil blocks chlorine in the nervous system. I'd be more worried about this hurting a spider. It also doesn't affect flea eggs or larvae - so they can still develop. Frontline Plus is fipronil plus an IGR.

If you get eggs hatching in the carpet, and larvae developing...you will get more adult fleas in your house...so you have to treat the house.

It is a lot easier if your cats are housecats only - and if you only have cats. However, if have dogs...and walk them - your dogs can bring fleas home anytime...so you still need to treat the house.

Any which inhibit the synthesis of chitin. IGRs don't act as direct IGRs in arachnids since spiders don't have a larva, pupa stage, etc. But, IGRs do interfere with chitin production and can cause long term ill effects in arachnids. Tarantulas may tolerate indirect exposure for awhile, but regular small amounts are additive. IGRs don't break down quickly in the environment, so inadvertent repeated indirect exposure is probable. Direct exposure can cause 'burns' or 'ulcers' in the exoskeleton. Compromised exoskeleton leads to dehydration, leads to death. Lesions from direct exposure can potentially be 'sealed' with one of the cyanoacrylates and hope the lesion 'molts out'.
If you have any references to the research, I'd like to see them. :D Thanks!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you get eggs hatching in the carpet, and larvae developing...you will get more adult fleas in your house...so you have to treat the house.
With the Frontline spray, the fleas will not be able to stay on the cat and they will eventually starve and die out. It doesn't take all that long either.

Glory

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't go that far, unless you just feel like getting out of the hobby. If so, don't blame the fleas for it.
No, I don't feel like getting out of the hobby, but perhaps you've never had a flea infestation and a very angry mother. It just so happens to be that fleas are the reason I have to get rid of my T. Sure, maybe I can get someone to watch her this time, but fleas are a constant worry when you have a cat, and my mother isn't having another instance of waiting to treat the house because of my T. I wish I could keep her and I wish the topical treatment on my cat was enough. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything since we have so many fleas breeding in the carpet. I'm very sad to get rid of my Sydney, but it's pretty much gotten to the point that I have no choice. If I don't do it, my mom will. Thank you all for your advice and help. It's very much appreciated, though seemingly hopeless :( I guess this'll be my last post here, so much luck to all of you and your beautiful Ts.

malhomme

Arachnopeon
No, I don't feel like getting out of the hobby, but perhaps you've never had a flea infestation and a very angry mother. It just so happens to be that fleas are the reason I have to get rid of my T. Sure, maybe I can get someone to watch her this time, but fleas are a constant worry when you have a cat, and my mother isn't having another instance of waiting to treat the house because of my T. I wish I could keep her and I wish the topical treatment on my cat was enough. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything since we have so many fleas breeding in the carpet. I'm very sad to get rid of my Sydney, but it's pretty much gotten to the point that I have no choice. If I don't do it, my mom will. Thank you all for your advice and help. It's very much appreciated, though seemingly hopeless :( I guess this'll be my last post here, so much luck to all of you and your beautiful Ts.
I spent quite a bit of time on the streets during my teens because of an irrational parent. I could put it on a calendar: every six months I would get kicked out of the house, usually for some absurd reason (like drinking soy milk, because "it is un-American") and spend the next 1-3 months couch-surfing, sleeping on rooftops, begging for food, etc. Every six months.

It made it difficult to keep bonsai, real bonsai, which takes more frequent care than tarantulas. Friends were there for me during "fair weather" so there was very little I could do for my trees. As a result, I do not have any trees from this period of my life.

I am not the only one here that made it through rough times in their teens, many much worse than mine. So, you are understood. Sorry you are leaving the hobby, just remember that it's never too late to return to it.

Rue

Arachnoknight
With the Frontline spray, the fleas will not be able to stay on the cat and they will eventually starve and die out. It doesn't take all that long either.
Larval development can, under certain circumstances, take months...adults can live a year without feeding. They can also exist in the pupal form for extended periods.

While dog/cat fleas don't like human blood...they can still survive on it as well.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

I'm sorry you're not able to keep her. I'd still look around to see if someone could babysit...or making you could take her to school? Not to your classroom necessarly, but to the teacher's lounge?