Flat rock scorpion care.

Unfoundedclown

Arachnopeon
Hi. I just got a flat rock scorpion. And just wondering how the humidity and temperature is suppose to be at . And how big do they have to be before they are allowed to eat pinkies ?

basin79

ArachnoGod
They're a very popular and common scorpion. There should be loads of care sheets for them on Google.

With regards to feeding yours a pinkie. Please don't feed live.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What species of flatrock did you get? I would consider it a desert species that hangs out in humid micro-environments along dry creek beds. imo it's a scorpion that deals with a wide humidity gradient, going deep into cracks where there is humidity and walking out into the drier air now and then. So if the terr is low humidity but substrate is a little moist in a corner with some flat rocks in there to hide between, it should do fine. They are pretty easy, just google flatrock setup or something like that. Upper 70'sF prob best and maybe an area that's a little warmer using a heat mat

Unfoundedclown

Arachnopeon
What species of flatrock did you get? I would consider it a desert species that hangs out in humid micro-environments along dry creek beds. imo it's a scorpion that deals with a wide humidity gradient, going deep into cracks where there is humidity and walking out into the drier air now and then. So if the terr is low humidity but substrate is a little moist in a corner with some flat rocks in there to hide between, it should do fine. They are pretty easy, just google flatrock setup or something like that. Upper 70'sF prob best and maybe an area that's a little warmer using a heat mat
I have a red bulb right now instead of a heat mat. Is that okay ? Or should I used both or just one ?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Heat mat placed on one side is best. Don't feed pinkies. Big crickets are just fine.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I keep mine in a low humidity and temps around 85 to 90 degrees. One tank i use a 60 watt red bulb and my other tank I built a hood that uses two 100 watt ceramic heaters and two fans to keep the humidity low. Use plenty of slate and sand, couple plants. I feed my juvi Hadogenes Trogs crickets rite now and when they reach bigger sizes I may offer bigger meals.. Great scorpion, they live long and get big, what a perfect pet..

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
(2) 100w ceramic heat bulbs for 1 enclosure!? Dam it has to hit well over 100° in there unless it's a big tank.... I use (1) 100 watt ceramic for 7 of my scorps. Keeps them all between 80-95° hovering over them. 1 gets super hot

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Its a 55 gallon tank, so it takes a bit to heat it up. The temps are controlled by a temp and humidity controller, that you set the temperature you want and it takes care of the rest.. I got all the parts off eBay for around fifty bucks. She is a happy Flat rock, a super big tank all to herself..

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Oh geeze 55 gallon lol nice I take that back then..... haven't you shared the setup on here??? I think ive seen it?

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Oh geeze 55 gallon lol nice I take that back then..... haven't you shared the setup on here??? I think ive seen it?
I had it posted, then asked the mod to pull the thread. I want to build these hoods for people but I have some r&d to do yet, seems to work great so far..

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Its in a ruff unfinished condition but does the job.. got to add some safety features and access panels.. I have ideas for even nicer hoods that would host WIFI connections to Weather conditions for all over the world..

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Now do scorpionso needs uvb like nearded dragons do?
UV is lethal to Scorpions. They do not need any lighting. You can use a normal infrared heat bulb if you want to view it at night, just make sure you don't use one that is too strong and desiccates the enclosure.
But definitely no UV of any kind.

You are right to not trust care sheets randomly strewn about on Google. 98% of them are dead wrong. Trust the advice of the knowledgeable keepers here on AB and you'll be golden.

It is best to not feed them vertebrate prey items. Crickets, Roaches, Mealworms, etc. are better (and natural) prey items for them.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
How often do they eat "small lizards" I would imagine quite commonly especially desert species.

I would never try it lol id feel terrible being a leapord gecko owner haha.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
My uv (grow light) is just for the plant, its only on during the day light hours when the Hadogenes is under her slate. No worries about exposure or prolonged exposure, i have heard that uv is a bad thing..