Flat Millipede Care

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Hello! I keep several species of cylindrical millipedes currently, and I would like to attempt to keep some flat species, specifically Brachcybe sp. (feather millipedes), and Motyxia sp. (bioluminescent millipedes). I personally find them very interesting, but I am unsure of their care requirements. What is an ideal substrate? I have heard of people keeping them almost exclusively on decaying wood, with a shallow layer of another substrate to keep the humidity up. How much ventilation (moisture) do they need? Has anyone successfully bred these species? I have also heard that Motyxia are near impossible to ship due their toxic secretions. Is this true? Sorry for the bombardment of questions. Thank you!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Brachycybe need lots and lots of decaying wood. That's all I kept mine on they bred pretty well. They like it rather moist and just a couple small ventilation holes should be fine. If you want to keep the humidity higher, a little cocofiber or peat moss mixed in should do it.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
1+ to what @pannaking22 said for the Brachycybe, lots of rotten wood.

As for the Motyxia, ain't nobody ever kept them before, so there is no care info for them at all. I would keep them on a mix of different tree woods at different stages of decay, and particle size. I would also provide some dead leaves on top and some bark to hide under. Be sure to keep them in the low 70s or else you may cook them. That's how the care is for many Polydesmids, so those are the perimeters I would follow.
There is a high chance they will all die off, as many Polydesmids do poorly in captivity at best. Still, if you got the money it's worth a shot. :)

Hope this helps!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I will update on Motyxia later ;) I do have some thoughts on these and family Xystodesmidae, in general...

Chris52

Arachnoknight
image.jpeg image.jpeg I decided to take the risk and ordered three Motyxia from Peter Clausen, along with three feather millipedes.

The container in the picture is what I put together for the feathers. The substrate is about 50/50 coconut fiber/aspen shavings, with some decomposing oak wood and leaves mixed in. Is this sufficient?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
View attachment 212399 View attachment 212398 I decided to take the risk and ordered three Motyxia from Peter Clausen, along with three feather millipedes.

The container in the picture is what I put together for the feathers. The substrate is about 50/50 coconut fiber/aspen shavings, with some decomposing oak wood and leaves mixed in. Is this sufficient?
Cool, I also ordered three Motyxia, hope they do well for us! :)

That should be OK, though I would give the Motyxia a slightly bigger enclosure if I were you. As long as the substrate is mostly rotten wood you should be OK.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
image.jpeg
I ended up just getting two larger containers for the millipedes. They look much better than the others.

Munax

Arachnosquire
Be sure to give us an update when you all get your pedes. It'd be interesting to see how they handled the shipping and how they do in captivity. Obviously not too bad since Peter has been keeping them.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Be sure to give us an update when you all get your pedes. It'd be interesting to see how they handled the shipping and how they do in captivity. Obviously not too bad since Peter has been keeping them.
Yep. Peter told me that he shipped them to himself from the collection site, and they all survived three days in the mail. I can't wait until they get here!

Pipp

Arachnopeon
I ordered 10 of the motyxia, really hoping they come alive since there's no live guarantee for them :(

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yep. Peter told me that he shipped them to himself from the collection site, and they all survived three days in the mail. I can't wait until they get here!
Ooh, that's good, especially since I went with priority shipping. Hope they arrive ok, and I hope three is enough for us to get a sexed pair....

Munax

Arachnosquire
Ooh, that's good, especially since I went with priority shipping. Hope they arrive ok, and I hope three is enough for us to get a sexed pair....
Probably will, Idaho isn't far from Oregon, and the trip from where the pedes originally came from to peter is longer so you should be good. The only thing to worry about is overheating them. Idk the weather in ID the next few days but here in Washington it's getting into the 80`s

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Probably will, Idaho isn't far from Oregon, and the trip from where the pedes originally came from to peter is longer so you should be good. The only thing to worry about is overheating them. Idk the weather in ID the next few days but here in Washington it's getting into the 80`s
Mine will have to make the trip all the way here to Ohio. It should still be okay though, since my packages usually arrive a day earlier than predicted. Just have to trust in Peter's awesome packing skills. ;)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well that's what I'm scared about, it's gonna be in the 90s pretty much the whole week. The house is pretty cool though, we got the thermostat set to 73 in the daytime, it's just the trip over here I'm worried about. I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Mine will have to make the trip all the way here to Ohio. It should still be okay though, since my packages usually arrive a day earlier than predicted. Just have to trust in Peter's awesome packing skills. ;)
Yeah that's a much longer trip, hope yours arrive OK! :)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Brachycybe need lots and lots of decaying wood. That's all I kept mine on they bred pretty well. They like it rather moist and just a couple small ventilation holes should be fine. If you want to keep the humidity higher, a little cocofiber or peat moss mixed in should do it.
Could I see a photo of your Brachycybe enclosure, please? I have my Brachycybe in a 16 oz deli style container with a base of coir and fermented oak with pieces of wood of varying sizes on top. I keep the substrate very moist, wet even, but not water-logged. Fungi sprout from it regularly. However, I've been slowly losing them and there doesn't seem to be any correlation with age/size and I have no idea what the problem might be. :(

Thank you! :)