Flameleg Flame Leg Millipede Trigoniulus macropygus Philippines Negros Island Pede Central

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also like to think the occasional "treat" is good for them, since they'd be able to eat all kinds of things in the wild.

I think springtails help prevent grain mites, since I haven't seen nearly as many since i introduced springtails.

Wow, I wouldn't expect fall to be the time for pedes to mate. Good luck!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting, I never thought about using more delicate species as an early warning system!

Congrats on the younguns!

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've decided to referesh this topic.

I'm on my trip to Philippines right now. I'm in Bicol province, and look what I have found on my way to Mayon volcano :)

Few photos of habitat. Description: Coconut plantation at the edge of forest. Millipedes were burried deep inside rottening cocnut shells, leaves, etc. Some of them were mating inside underground chambers.

And our amazing guide!

Even it is middle of dry season here, and it is really hard to find anything, look what are they doing!

My comment about mites. As you can see on previous photos - there are plenty of them. Mites are free running across the whole body of a pede. I don't think they are any threat to the host.

At the end, comment about mentioned colormorphs / color variations. As mentioned, I have noticed, that smaller specimens seems to be darker. But in general, now, with better light all of them seems to looks same.

Best regards!
Greg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool looking pedes! Great pictures all around and good shots of what their natural environment looks like.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Amazing pictures. It is so cool to see their indigenous habitat. Do you have more habitat pictures you can post?

Last edited:

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Hey, I could be right after all about color variation. We've had a discussion about my views on the possible existence of a black flameleg morph...which has been discredited by several knowledgeable people as just age variation or difference in photography.

Well, either this is a different species or its a black morph. No photo nonsense. Admittedly, with the large proportion of pink on the legs it looks like a different species. After all there are many species of that Philippine blue/grey millipede: Acladocricus major, Acladocricus porus, Acladocricus cognatus, Acladocricus philippinus, etc.

Photo credit: ©Melvin Yeo | Locality: Kubah Gading, Sarawak, Malaysia (2012) Source website

While this millipede's looks are cool, I like the millipedes that I keep and sell better :)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, I could be right after all about color variation. We've had a discussion about my views on the possible existence of a black flameleg morph...which has been discredited by several knowledgeable people as just age variation or difference in photography.

Well, either this is a different species or its a black morph. No photo nonsense. Admittedly, with the large proportion of pink on the legs it looks like a different species. After all there are many species of that Philippine blue/grey millipede: Acladocricus major, Acladocricus porus, Acladocricus cognatus, Acladocricus philippinus, etc.

Photo credit: ©Melvin Yeo | Locality: Kubah Gading, Sarawak, Malaysia (2012) Source website

While this millipede's looks are cool, I like the millipedes that I keep and sell better :)
That top picture is insane.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Haha, LOL. Its a good quality photo too. I think that's much of what's awesome about it. That's definitely a male by those monstrous legs alone!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I'd rather have that Malaysian pede if the color wasn't doctored though that branch is a little purple. What does that have to do with the Philippine Flamelegs? (I'm guessing maybe the reference is it looks like it might be in the same genus).
----Nevermind the question, I see the picture is labeled Philippine Flameleg on some websites even though it is from Malaysia, has a pronounced telson spike and so is not likely a member of the same genus.

Last edited:

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I see the picture is labeled Philippine Flameleg on some websites even though it is from Malaysia, has a pronounced telson spike and so is not likely a member of the same genus.
Aha! The experienced eye catches a telson spike. Looks more and more like a different species, eh?

Once again the color morph idea lacks support.