Flameleg Flame Leg Millipede Trigoniulus macropygus Philippines Negros Island Pede Central

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just took the following three photos of the same specimen under slightly different lighting conditions, next to a ruler, some with flash, some without. As you can see this specimen is about 3 inches in length and represents that turning point when they start to color up. However, the same camera taking photos of the same millipede can still produce drastically different results. Keep in mind this species is reported to reach 5.5 inches at its largest.

Again, it is the very same millipede in all three photos. I did not alter the images in any way but to resize them.

For sake of the public record these three images could appropriately be labeled as "BIC's" flameleg stock at 3 inches. They will color and gloss up as they grow. Mr. Crackerpants showed what 4 inch specimens of this stock look like. And Ken's are no doubt a molt beyond Mr. Crackerpants' (or about the same size and taken under different lighting with a different camera, etc.). Lastly, the blackest ones in this thread are younger and subject to the particulars of camera/photographer.

No Flash
flameleg_ab3.jpg

Flash
flameleg_ab2.jpg

Video Mode on digital camera
flameleg_ab1.jpg

Last edited:

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I just took the following three photos of the same specimen under slightly different lighting conditions, next to a ruler, some with flash, some without. As you can see this specimen is about 3 inches in length and represents that turning point when they start to color up. However, the same camera taking photos of the same millipede can still produce drastically different results. Keep in mind this species is reported to reach 5.5 inches at its largest.

Again, it is the very same millipede in all three photos. I did not alter the images in any way but to resize them.

For sake of the public record these three images could appropriately be labeled as "BIC's" flameleg stock at 3 inches. They will color and gloss up as they grow. Mr. Crackerpants showed what 4 inch specimens of this stock look like. And Ken's are no doubt a molt beyond Mr. Crackerpants' (or about the same size and taken under different lighting with a different camera, etc.). Lastly, the blackest ones in this thread are younger and subject to the particulars of camera/photographer.

No Flash
View attachment 100864

Flash
View attachment 100866

Video Mode on digital camera
View attachment 100865
Peter,

You've definitely demonstrated how lighting can affect color. I find the most spectacular color when I shine my LED maglite on them. Then they're a sight to see! I haven't tried a broad range of lighting, but that works well enough. I love it. If only they were that pretty without the extra light.

However, I posted the pic of the...well, I REposted the pic of the 4" pede. I don't believe MrCrackerpants actually posted a picture. But it's true, the larger ones are more colorful. My 5" female is sure a sight. Do the males stay smaller? Anyway, the point of that picture is that those millipedes were imported recently. I included the link to the original thread.

Do you folks with the baby millipedes use heat pads at all? Or do you just keep your tanks in the low 70s. My flamelegs (well, at least I don't see anything) haven't had babies yet but they're mating quite a bit...and just started tunneling in the substrate. They're finally actually eating it. They don't care for veggies at all, but oak leaves and wood (most of my substrate) they're really going after. They used to only eat the decaying logs I placed on the surface. I don't know what changed. I think my biggest female is really thick.

When these pedes are large, they sure are beautiful. I see why you love 'em, Peter!!!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you folks with the baby millipedes use heat pads at all? Or do you just keep your tanks in the low 70s. My flamelegs (well, at least I don't see anything) haven't had babies yet but they're mating quite a bit...and just started tunneling in the substrate. They're finally actually eating it. They don't care for veggies at all, but oak leaves and wood (most of my substrate) they're really going after. They used to only eat the decaying logs I placed on the surface. I don't know what changed. I think my biggest female is really thick. When these pedes are large, they sure are beautiful. I see why you love 'em, Peter!!!
I do not use a heat source. They are 70 F in the winter and 76 F in the summer. Mine like the food yours like but I also feed them dog food. I looked yesterday and the 5 babies I got from Peter are all about 4 inches long.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I do not use a heat source. They are 70 F in the winter and 76 F in the summer. Mine like the food yours like but I also feed them dog food. I looked yesterday and the 5 babies I got from Peter are all about 4 inches long.
How big did they start off, and how long since you purchased them?

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 10:38 PM ----------

I have a few pics to share. Here is a pede with a molting deformity:

Here is a male pede that has an anus with a fungus infection I've been trying to treat (honestly, I'm not sure when to stop)

Treatment with Rite-aid Jock Itch...don't use it.

These pictures support the 1 color-form, different colors at different times hypothesis I believe :cool:

EDIT: THEY'RE NOT SHOWING UP. PLEASE SEE THE IMAGES I'VE UPLOADED., AVAILABLE UNDER MY FORUM NAME.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big did they start off, and how long since you purchased them?

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 10:38 PM ----------

I have a few pics to share. Here is a pede with a molting deformity:

Here is a male pede that has an anus with a fungus infection I've been trying to treat (honestly, I'm not sure when to stop)

Treatment with Rite-aid Jock Itch...don't use it.

These pictures support the 1 color-form, different colors at different times hypothesis I believe :cool:

EDIT: THEY'RE NOT SHOWING UP. PLEASE SEE THE IMAGES I'VE UPLOADED., AVAILABLE UNDER MY FORUM NAME.
I believe I got them last fall and they were 2 inches or so. I could be wrong on the dates and the size. I will say that they have grown very fast. Faster than any of the other 5 species I currently have. They are very cool millipedes. I hope they reproduce.

Last edited:

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Quite interesting. At 6 months old young are between 1" and 1.75" and are already developing adult leg coloration:

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I still cannot get over the conviction that there are slightly different color morphs of this species, mainly in regard to the prominence of the red rings. I remember that one quote, "It's definitely a black pede," and was just looking at Swift's stock and their description.

Description:
Beautiful Philippne species that is shiney black to maroon as adults with two toned legs that are bright yellow and orange. A fast growing and moving millipede, reaching 6" - 7" as adults!! Very cool millipede!!
Notice how thin the red rings are? I'm almost at the point where I don't care what people say. I have enough evidence to make my own conclusions. I see photos of pedes with thicker red rings, and photos of pedes with thinner. They have all been adult animals. It could be camera, but I know what the rings look. I have a thicker-ringed variant it seems. My pedes shine red under flashlight. They are not shiny black.

I find that when I cannot shake a conviction usually it's because there's something to it. Of course more research would be needed to confirm for absolute sure, but I think research might verify. I just do not see how the pedes' genes can be static. Several people have claimed here that all the Flamelegs in the US hobby came through one person. I have proof that this is not the case. They could have been imported from different areas and those populations likely had microscopically different characteristics. Anyway, quite fascinating! I'm glad I have redder ones at least :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pictures on the Internet are not proof of something that is as plastic and variable as color. Also, given the exact same data set that you have (Internet pictures) I would draw the opposite conclusion: color changes as the pede develops. It seems clear to me that one color "morph" is always smaller than the other. Also, it's not a case of simple black versus red. You see individuals encompassing the entire spectrum. I'd expect more differentiation if they were different color morphs. Add to that the variability that can arise through different methods of photography (the only correct comparison would shots taken under the exact same conditions side by side) and that can completely explains the variation in color. It's quite easy to see what one wants to see, and it's important to be as objective as possible. Additionally, given how most exotic inverts enter the hobby, it's more than just possible that they could all be traced back to a single WC source. That's the case more often than not.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Source Unknown. Ken did not try to discover much. The only impression I have is the "source" to have been a small-scale breeder.

I know all that about photos and such. Some species are very variable (take Narceus americanus)--obviously this is no Narceus americanus but I actually expect slight variation...especially since they were imported recently, and therefore have been collected at least 2 times. See here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...-from-the-Philippines!&highlight=acladocricus
Those look like my pedes. See the thicker red rings. "All photos are completely unreliable."--not quite how I view things. Obviously I could not get adult pedes from that shipment...unless I got them direct. Hey, I'll contact that gentleman and see if he sold any to Ken.

---------- Post added 07-28-2012 at 01:00 AM ----------

Just wanted to mention that looking over BIC's photos again--thanks for a good demonstration!--I'm not quite so certain. I still do not rule out variation, however. But I guess it's not that important.

I do think those grey/blue millipedes are variable though :p

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I do think those grey/blue millipedes are variable though :p
They are extemely variable from greenish to brownish to bluish but only by age and proximity to the molt. Albino Nareus americanus display a lot of variation in the pink part of the coloration but it seems to be almost entirely environmental.

SDCPs

Arachnolord

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Awesome video:

[YOUTUBE]hjxg728I4E4[/YOUTUBE]

I should probably make my own soon :)

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I took two videos, hopefully the three of these combined give the general overview of the adult specimens.

[video=youtube_share;DyV8_cl60g8]http://youtu.be/DyV8_cl60g8[/video]

[video=youtube_share;zkpL1_Ti6FY]http://youtu.be/zkpL1_Ti6FY[/video]

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoa, are they that shiny in person?

Have you managed to clear up the mite problems or whatever was afflicting your pedes?

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Whoa, are they that shiny in person?

Have you managed to clear up the mite problems or whatever was afflicting your pedes?
Yes, they are very beautiful. Look best under bright white LED light from what I've seen.

I'm not sure I've managed to do too much...they have stopped dying on me. I now think feeding them is important, but I didn't use to do it. I don't know what's going on with the grain mites...haven't seen many of them recently!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You mean you used to just give them food substrate and no supplements like fruits or veggies?

I forget, do you keep springtails in your pede enclosures? I'm glad they seem to be ok now!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Well, I fed fruit, but they didn't seem to like it as much as the substrate, so I quit. They did fine for awhile. I am not sure that this is the root cause of my problems...probably not...but I think feeding them something besides leaves is beneficial. Time will tell if an apple a day prevents massive die off.

The springtails just walked in one day...and they don't do any harm. I also have the occasional predatory mite (or so it seems).

Me too--don't have many millipedes right now...but there is a spike in mating activity (nonexistent before), so hopefully little ones soon!