Flameleg Flame Leg Millipede Trigoniulus macropygus Philippines Negros Island Pede Central

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just checked. Mine have thick black rings with small bright red rings.

---------- Post added 03-01-2012 at 02:42 PM ----------

We're basically trying to see if your pedes (which you got from Peter you said) are almost totally black or if they have red rings. Could you take a few, one without flash, one with maybe? We (IDK maybe its just me :p) just want to see the general color.
I just checked. Mine have thick black rings with small bright red rings.

Also, they are still glowing but this may have more to do with my proximity to White Sands Missile Base than their genes. ; )

Last edited:

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
Also, they are still glowing but this may have more to do with my proximity to White Sands Missile Base than their genes.
So, are you saying they're radioactive? lol

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm reasonably sure that all "dealer stock" in the US hails, at some point a few generations back or less, from a single breeder. Certain subjects are less than comfortable for certain subjects to discuss, objectively.

If anybody has recently imported new stock or different stock, they are unlikely to chime in. I do not import since 9/11/2001. I don't even know anybody who imports anymore, except a small handful of arachnid/reptile importers who don't bring in millipedes.

Are both color forms, represented in the photos you've posted, fully grown 4.5(?) to 5.5 inch specimens? Your theories are compelling and well-argued, but I'd like to see a ruler next to the specimens in each of your photos. Since you did not take all the photos, I assume this is a difficult request. My issue is the same as what some others are suggesting. Your photos of black ones look like smaller individuals, while your photos of redder ones look like older/larger individuals. Can the simplest explanation be the correct one?

I am prepared to be convinced and to learn something new about my favorite species in the hobby!

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Mine are not this big yet. The red on mine is much thinner and the black is much thicker.
Although we cannot quite tell for sure what they'll look like when mature right now, your input supports my hypothesis! I was ready to ditch it if you said anything to the contrary.

The pede in the photo you are referring to looks very much like mine.

Thanks for the info; post pics when you have time :p

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
His are immatures, they're not the same color as adults.
Orin,

Yes, they are immature. They are a little over 3 inches long. Will they look like the picture posted when they are adults? I have heard this species can get 5 inches long max. Is this correct? I also have some black pink legs I bought from Peter and they are getting big quick. They are also VERY shiny.

Thanks.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Orin,

Yes, they are immature. They are a little over 3 inches long. Will they look like the picture posted when they are adults? I have heard this species can get 5 inches long max. Is this correct? I also have some black pink legs I bought from Peter and they are getting big quick. They are also VERY shiny.

Thanks.
The various pictures of US specimes look different primarily due to lighting and camera settings though pictures that represent wild animals may be different. Yours should be adults in six months though your giant black pinklegs may take another three years. 5 and 8+ are max sizes for females of your respective pedes.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The various pictures of US specimes look different primarily due to lighting and camera settings though pictures that represent wild animals may be different. Yours should be adults in six months though your giant black pinklegs may take another three years. 5 and 8+ are max sizes for females of your respective pedes.
Thanks. THANKS!! THANKS!!!!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
But I have noticed a difference in the width of the red and black rings on different millipedes, and that is not dependent on camera settings.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I have AGBs that have varying segment widths between specimens but that is dependent on how far away from last molt they are. Also remember that each segment's relation to the next is dependent on the animal's position. Then there's individual variation...oy vey!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I have AGBs that have varying segment widths between specimens but that is dependent on how far away from last molt they are. Also remember that each segment's relation to the next is dependent on the animal's position. Then there's individual variation...oy vey!
I definitely see your point. But this is the kind of difference I'm speaking of. Maybe the black one is smaller, IDK:

And my "thick banded" picture isn't even the best example. It does show two pedes though.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I definitely see your point. But this is the kind of difference I'm speaking of. Maybe the black one is smaller, IDK:

And my "thick banded" picture isn't even the best example. It does show two pedes though.
SDCPs. I do not know if this helps but I looked in this morning and I have a few very young (very small: 2 inchers) ones that are completion black. There is no red bands. The others that are bigger (3-3.5 inches) have very small red bands and very large black bands. The legs and antenna on all of mine are the same but band width varies. Maybe (as you suggest) band width (black and red) varies based on age. I do not have any with wide red bands like the top picture. Mine are all immature.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
That does help! Now we just need to know what your pedes look like when they get bigger! Start taking pics, man...you can share a progression shot library in a few months and contribute much to the general knowledge of these pedes.