First time T finder

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm going to Tucson, AZ next week and this is going to be my first opportunity to see tarantulas in the wild. Can anyone give me any pointers on where to find burrows? I'm not going to collect anything, I would just like to take a bunch of photographs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to Tucson, AZ next week and this is going to be my first opportunity to see tarantulas in the wild. Can anyone give me any pointers on where to find burrows? I'm not going to collect anything, I would just like to take a bunch of photographs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Honestly,just find a cactus forest and start hiking.It is the only way to really find out. Most people are very tight lipped about locations.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Hate to discourage you, cause that is not what Im trying to do, but its harder to find tarantulas in the wild then you think. During mating season, wondering males should be "fairly" easy to find, but other then that, they hide. I would recommend searching washes. As that is a common hot spot for several burrows. The good news, is if you find one burrow with a female in it, chances are there are several somewhat near by.

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to try to find some burrows. From what I understand scorps are plentiful in the area, so I know I'll get some good pictures, even if i don't find any Ts. Also, I know this is the wrong forum, but are scolopendras hard to find?