First Time OBT Owner

Belinir

Arachnopeon
Cancelled a cross country trip and decided to buy myself a P. Murinus instead. Less social interaction, more spiders, that's the way!

Any tips for a first time OBT keeper? I only have a laid back A. Chalcodes and quite some terrestrial spiderlings and juvies, as well as some scorpions.

The OBT I'd get would be around 4cm in body length already and is unsexed. Should I put it in a 20x20x30cm (length width height) tank and could this be a fitting size for an adult specimen?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i dont know cm as well as inches, like most people here. that tanks sounds fine. a little big but it grow into it, and fast. just be prepared and dont take many risks. when doing rehouses or even maintenance, put the cage in a bigger cage if possible, (a shoebox works well) this will slow the spider down if it bolts. its going to be a helluva lot different then the rest of your collection, good luck.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh boy...you better be prepared for the posts you're about to get on this one...

But on topic
You sure you're ready for a fast as hell, mean as hell tarantula which also packs quite a punch with its venom?
What species are your juvies? Anything speedy or defensive?

cold blood

Staff member
You canceled a trip to buy a $5 spider? I'd go get myself something nice instead...like Pamph, Xenesthis or a M. balfouri....heck, I'd rather have a C. marshalli....way cooler than an OBT you're not likely to see much (especially if its housed in an over-size enclosure)...JMO.

Plus, in my observation, people that aren't willing, or are looking to avoid properly re-housing the t as it grows, are generally not the people that are properly prepared for the defensiveness of the spider in question...whether its OBT, H. mac or a pokie or whatever....Again, just an observation that may or may not apply here.

Belinir

Arachnopeon
It's not like I don't know what I'll be having on my hands once the package gets here. I know the speed of this tarantula and I also do know, that there are other speedy and defensive tarantulas that are probably better for a 'beginner' in this field of tarantulas.

@Andrea82 My other juvies currently are: Lasiodora Parahybana, Brachypelma Boehmei and Eupalaestrus Campestratus; So no, not really defensive or speedy (except the Eupalaestrus, which tends to be a rock, sometimes she decides to teleport though. I didn't even know, that they can be that fast to be honest.)

@cold blood Guess I buy them at the wrong dealer then ;) But I'm from Germany and bought all my tarantulas and scorpions from the same dealer. They are around 30€ here at this size and I also have to add the price of the tank, the decoration and the substrate. That all amounts to ~100€ which is pretty much what I would've spent for my trip, so I guess I've pretty much exchanged the trip for a new spider.

Funny that you mention M. Balfouri as it's also on my to buy list. Would be nice to hear why you'd prefer them, or what exactly makes them interesting for you.
Ah yeah, right, about the enclosure, it's not like my juvies, which I all bought as spiderlings, are in big enclosures. I do change their exclosure once they get bigger.
I know, my other spiders are not OBTs or similar specimen, but it's not like I go for the biggest enclosure possible first. Just had a pretty okay deal for the enclosure.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's not like I don't know what I'll be having on my hands once the package gets here. I know the speed of this tarantula and I also do know, that there are other speedy and defensive tarantulas that are probably better for a 'beginner' in this field of tarantulas.

@Andrea82 My other juvies currently are: Lasiodora Parahybana, Brachypelma Boehmei and Eupalaestrus Campestratus; So no, not really defensive or speedy (except the Eupalaestrus, which tends to be a rock, sometimes she decides to teleport though. I didn't even know, that they can be that fast to be honest.)

@cold blood Guess I buy them at the wrong dealer then ;) But I'm from Germany and bought all my tarantulas and scorpions from the same dealer. They are around 30€ here at this size and I also have to add the price of the tank, the decoration and the substrate. That all amounts to ~100€ which is pretty much what I would've spent for my trip, so I guess I've pretty much exchanged the trip for a new spider.

Funny that you mention M. Balfouri as it's also on my to buy list. Would be nice to hear why you'd prefer them, or what exactly makes them interesting for you.
Ah yeah, right, about the enclosure, it's not like my juvies, which I all bought as spiderlings, are in big enclosures. I do change their exclosure once they get bigger.
I know, my other spiders are not OBTs or similar specimen, but it's not like I go for the biggest enclosure possible first. Just had a pretty okay deal for the enclosure.
How do you know the speed? Have you witnessed it in person? Videos do no just for the speed in reality especially when confronted with it.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
Who brought the two 4x4's and nails? Someone getting crucified? Pass the popcorn. :D

OP, just know you have a fast and defensive spider with a shitful attitude that is almost comical to watch. My OBT falls over backwards when she rears up to throw a threat display. Enjoy it, and be careful. Definitely a "look but don't touch" pet. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

An OBT was my first baboon, too! Now I have lots of baboons and pokies. :D

This is the love and worship I receive every time I open my OBT's enclosure:

Vezon

Arachnopeon
OBTs are ridiculously easy to care for outside of rehousings. Just make sure you know where it's at before you open the enclosure to do feeding/watering. I like to scare mine back into its burrow before I even think about opening to lid on the enclosure.

Belinir

Arachnopeon
@shining

I wouldn't say that videos don't give an estimate about how fast a spider is. With decent framerate that is. Of course it's something else once you are the person handling the spider.

@crlovel

Crucified lol, please. I'm a poor student and I don't have the space to work my way up in the world of tarantulas just to have the 'experience' to keep a fast one. People tend to extremely exaggerate about fast and defensive spiders especially when already bitten, because they made a mistake. IF I fail to keep this spider right and it teleports right onto my face I will file a bite report which will contain a lot of self shaming about how foolish it was to buy an OBT as my first quick tarantula. If however common sense and a lot of precautions will save me from that, you'll hopefully get some cool macro pictures (If I'll find it in my oversized tank that is).

cold blood

Staff member

I know, my other spiders are not OBTs or similar specimen, but it's not like I go for the biggest enclosure possible first. Just had a pretty okay deal for the enclosure.[/QUOTE]

My advice for buying an OBT is to NOT buy the size you are intending. You are paying extra $ for someone to spend a few months growing them, at the rate they grow (super fast) its much better just to get a few slings. Find the cheapest slings you can and buy them.

As for the enclosure, you're spending that much because its what you want...proper enclosures, with the entire set up, can easily be had for $10 or less. Sterilite tubs are cheap worldwide, as is dirt and wood. Its ok if you want something specific, that's your prerogative, but don't be held back thinking expensive enclosures are better for the t or necessary. Personally, I'd rather have more spiders than just a couple, my hobby is tarantulas, not expensive enclosures and heavy tanks. If I housed in exo terras it would probably cost me 150+ tarantulas.

Slings can be housed in 16oz deli cups, once they get over 2", they can go to a small KK, by 3.5" they can go into their adult enclosures. They're fast and web an absolute ton, so you will want a larger than average enclosure for the size of the t. They're tough as nails, even as 1/2" slings and aside from a water dish, you never really need to worry about moisture...which also keeps them pest free as long as you clean up any boli or uneaten prey.

I still say marshalli is so much cooler and at about the same low price point. Marshalli are almost always out hunting, so for a fossorial, they're visible most of the time (same for darling), they also web a lot and grow quickly.

Balfouri is just a unique t, with lots of whites and blues, neither color is really common in ts....plus the fluffy femurs...done. They borrow a lot and web a lot as well.

Balfouri is also a decent starter OW...marshalli/darling (along with A. ezendami) are amongst the best starter ow's.

I have a room full of ts, marshalli is and will always be one of my absolute favorites.....OBT, m'eh....I see its discarded molts more than the actual t, they hate everything, movement, light, anything will send them bolting...and if you don't give them enough room, they are just constantly angry all the time.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Crucified lol, please. I'm a poor student and I don't have the space to work my way up in the world of tarantulas just to have the 'experience' to keep a fast one. People tend to extremely exaggerate about fast and defensive spiders especially when already bitten, because they made a mistake. IF I fail to keep this spider right and it teleports right onto my face I will file a bite report which will contain a lot of self shaming about how foolish it was to buy an OBT as my first quick tarantula.
They're not exaggerating with this species. It is extremely fast and most are very, very defensive. A video isn't going to prepare you for the speed when it's racing around in front of you faster than you can comprehend. I will admit, I bought one as my first foray in to OW's too soon. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

My first view I got of it was cracking open the deli cup just to loosen it and out shot a leg and a fang then trying to hold enough pressure so it couldn't get out but not enough to hurt it while needing to change my shorts ;) Glad I had a friend over to help or I probably would've been bit. Didn't have enough experience at the time and got in over my head before the cup was even fully open. Wound up selling it with the enclosure just so I didn't have to rehouse it. Lesson learned lol

To be fair, there have some beginners who have done just fine with them. Really depends on the individual. But if you're in to gambling you wouldn't bet on it going well. Good luck, I'd rather not read a bite report from you.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It's not like I don't know what I'll be having on my hands once the package gets here.
Well, you can't really know until you've worked with one before. This is true with most things.
If you don't have the space to work your way up -- maybe now isn't the time.
Is there anyone else in your household to consider -- anyone else impacted if something goes wrong?
There is fast and then there is OBT fast.
Speed is different in real life than in video.
It's a little unsettling how calmly you speak of possibly getting bit! You get bit -- Ts get a bad rap. Ts already have bad press. And anyone you share a bite story with can repeat it.
And why do they cost so much there? They are sort of a dime a dozen most places -- they breed easily. Too easily.

cold blood

Staff member
@crlovel

People tend to extremely exaggerate about fast and defensive spiders especially when already bitten, because they made a mistake. IF I fail to keep this spider right and it teleports right onto my face I will file a bite report which will contain a lot of self shaming about how foolish it was to buy an OBT as my first quick tarantula. If however common sense and a lot of precautions will save me from that, you'll hopefully get some cool macro pictures (If I'll find it in my oversized tank that is).[/QUOTE]
@shining

I wouldn't say that videos don't give an estimate about how fast a spider is. With decent framerate that is. Of course it's something else once you are the person handling the spider.

Crucified lol, please. I'm a poor student and I don't have the space to work my way up in the world of tarantulas just to have the 'experience' to keep a fast one. People tend to extremely exaggerate about fast and defensive spiders especially when already bitten, because they made a mistake. IF I fail to keep this spider right and it teleports right onto my face I will file a bite report which will contain a lot of self shaming about how foolish it was to buy an OBT as my first quick tarantula. If however common sense and a lot of precautions will save me from that, you'll hopefully get some cool macro pictures (If I'll find it in my oversized tank that is).
You're dead wrong on your assumptions....."I don't have time or space to learn"...c'mon, you know that's not anything but personal justification. As I just mentioned, there are other better starter ow's, like that marshalli, that will grow quickly enough that the learning curve won't last forever...its like a year...you're young, a single year's nothing and will prove valuable and equally (or likely more) enjoyable....marshalli has a freakin' horn for god's sake....so much cooler than orange...oranges and reds aren't exactly uncommon and OBT isn't even the best looking of them IMO (I'd rather look at a B. boehmei or A. bicoloratum, personally).

Now ultimately the choice is yours, but just be aware that there are other, better, and equally appealing options. OBT is literally one of the most common ts around, they aren't going anywhere and in the next year you may even get one as a freebie (because the market's consistently flooded, people need to give away a lot of them), trade an extra marshalli for one, or just find some ridiculously cheap...heck just based on pricing I'd wait....trust me, stay in the hobby long enough and OBTs will fall into your lap enough that you will just start saying no more.

In 15 years I have never been bit, because I worked my way up.

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Somehow I always find something else to buy instead of one of the horned baboons. One day! Got a N. incei a few weeks ago as an impulse buy (amazing color, gold form), it's pretty spastically quick and should make some cool webbing too. Rehousing gave me no trouble, went where I wanted just in quick, sporadic bursts. I've never had serious webbers before except a GBB. Well, and that OBT but I consider having it more of a "foster home" situation after adopting a spider I wound up not wanting anything to do with lol

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Now ultimately the choice is yours, but just be aware that there are other, better, and equally appealing options. OBT is literally one of the most common ts around, they aren't going anywhere and in the next year you may even get one as a freebie (because the market's consistently flooded, people need to give away a lot of them), trade an extra marshalli for one, or just find some ridiculously cheap...heck just based on pricing I'd wait....trust me, stay in the hobby long enough and OBTs will fall into your lap enough that you will just start saying no more.
Funny you say that because it's so true. I see them offered as freebies quite often. I'm always afraid that I'll get one as a surprise freebie lol. Seriously. I am. :peeking:

Belinir

Arachnopeon
@crlovel

People tend to extremely exaggerate about fast and defensive spiders especially when already bitten, because they made a mistake. IF I fail to keep this spider right and it teleports right onto my face I will file a bite report which will contain a lot of self shaming about how foolish it was to buy an OBT as my first quick tarantula. If however common sense and a lot of precautions will save me from that, you'll hopefully get some cool macro pictures (If I'll find it in my oversized tank that is).

You're dead wrong on your assumptions....."I don't have time or space to learn"...c'mon, you know that's not anything but personal justification. As I just mentioned, there are other better starter ow's, like that marshalli, that will grow quickly enough that the learning curve won't last forever...its like a year...you're young, a single year's nothing and will prove valuable and equally (or likely more) enjoyable....marshalli has a freakin' horn for god's sake....so much cooler than orange...oranges and reds aren't exactly uncommon and OBT isn't even the best looking of them IMO (I'd rather look at a B. boehmei or A. bicoloratum, personally).

In 15 years I have never been bit, because I worked my way up.[/QUOTE]

Checked the C. Marshalli out for a moment and noticed, that my dealer also sells these. Definitely convinced to get this one instead, the horn is so cool! :D (Same price of 29€ for 3-4cm body length)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Checked the C. Marshalli out for a moment and noticed, that my dealer also sells these. Definitely convinced to get this one instead, the horn is so cool! :D (Same price of 29€ for 3-4cm body length)
I'm sure you'll enjoy watching it grow up! Very cool indeed.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Awesome :) Post some good photos and I'll wind up with one of my own ;) To give you a little perspective I got my first T back in 2004. Kept a collection of about a dozen T's, scorps, and centipedes for a couple years. Deaths (DKS, lived in an apt at the time so maybe pesticides), matured males, and whatnot left me with a single female Lp. That's all I had from around 2006/7 (really not sure) until summer 2015 when I picked up some A. versicolor slings for cheap from a local breeder. And that began the addiction all over again about ten years after I had left it. Guess what? OBT's were everywhere back then and cheap and a decade later they're still everywhere and dirt cheap :D They're not going anywhere, give yourself plenty of time, no rush, the P. murinus will be there if and when the time is right.

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
C. marshalli is a great choice, I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had one. Having T's is already interesting in and of itself, but one with a HORN? A UNICORN TARANTULA? That's pretty special lol