First time Breeding.... Help please!!

grayhound

Arachnosquire
HI,

I have a mature female A. Metallica. Yesterday I scored a MM A. Metallica. I'm not sure how long ago he matured, so I want to try to get a sac asap. I also have a friend with a mature female, and I'm going to breed him with her too if possible.

I'm pretty new to collecting, and have never attempted breeding before... however I really want to try. I also make my own acrylic enclusores and doors for aquariums, and I'm confident I could make a mechanical mom if necessary. I also have a ton of sling containers ready, and plenty of resources to make a nice incubator if that's better.

The biggest question I have is..... How do I make sure they are ready to be introduced? I just got the male and he hasn't webbed much yet. I'm really not positive what a sperm web looks like either...... Do I HAVE to wait till he spins one? If so, what is the best way to get him to? I already have his enclosure right next to the female's. I already know to introduce the male into the female's enclosure....

#2 question : I really don't want him to get munched...... What is the best way to try to prevent this? ( He is almost as big as her too....) not sure if this matters or not....

#3 question : If the mating is successful, and I do get a sac, should I leave it with her? I have read that If you isolate the spider and do not disturb it whatsoever, she will "mother" it properly, however, It seems that incubators or mech moms have a better sucess rate..... I guess I have plenty of time before I worry about this one anyway...

Any input, tips, pointers, etc would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
:?

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I am also about to attempt breeding for the first time. I just recieved my MM avic. Metallica today also! I put him in a smaller cage inside her cage with bits of her web. I was told to do this and not let him out until he makes a sperm web buuutt... Its my first time also so you may want to want for an expert opinion. Good luck to you!

grayhound

Arachnosquire
I am also about to attempt breeding for the first time. I just recieved my MM avic. Metallica today also! I put him in a smaller cage inside her cage with bits of her web. I was told to do this and not let him out until he makes a sperm web buuutt... Its my first time also so you may want to want for an expert opinion. Good luck to you!
Thanks! Good luck to you too!!!

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sometimes it's difficult to know when a male Avicularia has constructed a sperm web, even when he's been in your care prior to maturity because of the amount and type of webbing that is typical in their habitat. Even when he makes one, you most likely won't know unless you catch him in the act of using it or tearing it down. You could pair them after they have been fed and watered appropriately. If he is not 'loaded', then he likely won't be interested in the female or vice versa, and you can just try again on another day.

If you're concerned about the female attacking/eating the male, just be sure to supervise any pairings and have some tools available to intervene (tongs/paintbrushes/chopsticks etc.)

I personally have never had an issue with an Avicularia eating or not properly caring for her sac. I know that others have though, so the choice is yours. I feel that the female would be far better at caring for a sac than any of us would though...even with a mechanical mom. Just be prepared to wait patiently for the slings to emerge if you leave it with mom (probably at least 8weeks until 2nd instars emerge). My most recent Avicularia breeding was A. metallica, and I left the sac with mom and ended up with almost 200 2nd instar offspring.

The breeding reports are a valuable resource and should answer most of your questions if you read them thoroughly:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=36157

Best of luck with your project.

grayhound

Arachnosquire
update

I thought I would update this quick. I am going to try the second attempt at pairing them up right after i post this.

The first attempt was unsuccessful. I caught the male loading up his palps. It was VERY clear that it was what he was doing. There were little "hooks" coming out of his palps while he was "punching" at his webbing. After he stopped doing it, I waited about 1 - 2 hours, then opened the two enclosures right next to each other. It didn't take much to get him to go in..... I just nudged him a little with my T straw, and he walked out around the edge and right in. After that, the male and female didn't even act like they knew each other was there. I let them just "hang out" together for about two to three hours with NO activity. The female's tank is a 10 gallon arboreal, and they were on the glass on opposite sides. I have been told by a friend that I should get them a little closer so that they know for sure that the other is there.

I fed the female again yesterday, and I'm about to try it again here in a little bit. Anyone got any quick advise?

I'll post some pics soon.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Here are the enclosures.... When I tried to introduce them, I set it up opposite than shown here. I put the male on the left and the female on the right.

This is one of the male loading up....

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Can you post better pics of both the male and female?

grayhound

Arachnosquire
more pics

Hopefully these are a little better.....

Male:

Two of the female. She is kinda hiding behind some moss right now.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When did your female last molt? She looks like she's in a pretty heavy state of premolt to me. I see bald patches on her patellas, abdomen, and carapace. If she is too far into her molt cycle, she isn't likely to be receptive.

Also, could you post some more pictures of the female?

grayhound

Arachnosquire
not sure

I forgot to say this last post..... thanks for the help!

I'm not sure when her last molt was. I just bought her a month ago, and she has not molted since I got her. She is eating like B. Dubias are going extinct though. (3 adults in the last 4 days )

I'lll take more pics and post them soon.