First Tarantula Questions?

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Exactly my experience - and in my case, it was with a G. pulchripes, the T that seems to be getting the best press in this thread - with good reason - I too cast my vote for the pulchripes - what a beautiful spider!

Somebody recommended the B vagans, and somebody else expressed a "buyer-beware," and I agree wholeheartedly with both - my vagans is like a loose cannon with a very short fuse! Mean, in-my-face, beautiful, voracious, mean, fun-to-watch, always out in the open, mean, easy maintenance and ... oh yes, did I mention mean? ...

That's why I love him.

In short: GET BOTH! That way, when you're scorned by the vagans, you'll be consoled by the pulchripes!

p.s. What tarantula was it that you held in the pet shop? I'd be willing to bet it was a G rosea.
have you ever tried to handle the B.vagans outside of its enclosure? all of
mine are beasts in their cage, they think everything is food, but if i can persuade them to stroll outside its cage they sweeten up real quick.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
have you ever tried to handle the B.vagans outside of its enclosure? all of
mine are beasts in their cage, they think everything is food, but if i can persuade them to stroll outside its cage they sweeten up real quick.
Tindalos, the difference between you and me is that you are brave, courageous and adventuresome - I'm a total wuss ... I have NOT tried it, nor will I without an AK47 in one hand and a lion-tamer's chair in the other - Diablo and I have an understanding - I respect him from a distance, or he rips my face off up close (at least he's given me a choice...) -

But isn't it the things that frighten us most the very things that we find the most compelling? Like roller-coasters, and scary movies, and, well, pugnacious tarantulas?

I'm glad to hear that your vaganses (I guess you have several) are like Diablo in the enclosure - maybe that means he's like your vaganses once outside ... and maybe when I work up the moxie, I'll see if Diablo and I can pass the peace-pipe ... don't hold your breath ... ;)

p.s. just curious ... what made you take that first dangerous step? To handle your vagans I mean ...

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
actually, it was a very docile Acanthoscurria geniculata or Giant Brazilian White Knee that my girlfriend dared me to hold because she thought I wouldn't do it...I proved her wrong, very beautiful spider! haha In all reality I will probably get one for hanging out with (pulcripes or pulcra) and one to observe the ferocity and natural beauty! haha

thank you for the info!

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tindalos, the difference between you and me is that you are brave, courageous and adventuresome - I'm a total wuss ... I have NOT tried it, nor will I without an AK47 in one hand and a lion-tamer's chair in the other - Diablo and I have an understanding - I respect him from a distance, or he rips my face off up close (at least he's given me a choice...) -

But isn't it the things that frighten us most the very things that we find the most compelling? Like roller-coasters, and scary movies, and, well, pugnacious tarantulas?

I'm glad to hear that your vaganses (I guess you have several) are like Diablo in the enclosure - maybe that means he's like your vaganses once outside ... and maybe when I work up the moxie, I'll see if Diablo and I can pass the peace-pipe ... don't hold your breath ... ;)

p.s. just curious ... what made you take that first dangerous step? To handle your vagans I mean ...
well one time i was doing maintenance and la migra (my biggest vegen)
ran out of the enclosure and out onto my hand and I thought well if its there I might as well, and then I found out i can handle B.vagans.
same thing happened with a H.lividum. and then i tested this theory of outside enclosure temperament with an OBT. everything went fine.
But remember there is always that chance they still can bite, so go at a comfortable pace, if your handling defensive spiders.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well one time i was doing maintenance and la migra (my biggest vegen)
ran out of the enclosure and out onto my hand and I thought well if its there I might as well ...
:) Interesting - that's exactly the way it happened with me and my GBB ... I quote myself here from a previous thread ...

" ... consider the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens if you're looking for T Love - worked for me (totally unexpectedly - it didn't occur to me that GBBs are handleable until one day my GBB handled ME - he ran up my hand as I was doing some enclosure-keeping, and sat placidly on my thumb-and-index-finger joint of my left hand as I cleaned house with my right - it was rather flattering, and, if I may anthropomorphize just a tad, it's been a cordial relationship ever since!) ..."

But there's a vast divide between my GBB's attitude and Diablo's - Honeybee is a pussycat - Diablo is a HELLCAT - if Diablo were to suddenly run up my hand the way Honeybee did, well, I can only hope I'd survive to tell the tale. But there again, that's why I love them!