First T

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yeah I decided that I will most likely end up with a sling or juvie and I found G. pulchripes on a few vendor sites for 20 to 30 bucks. It looks like raising one should be doable even for a beginner so I will probably go that route.
They are definitely newcomer friendly. They can be a bit more skittish as juveniles, but nothing like some other spiders. Mine are juveniles and I love them both - they are so fabulous. Both of mine are quite active and have great feeding responses - unless they are in pre-moult.
This is my little girl, Portia.
Portia.jpg

And my little boy, Brutus.
Brutus.jpg

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
I make a starter burrow where I want it. Sometimes they use it sometimes they make their own. Some decide they don't want to burrow and hide under the leaf. One flipped over the leaf and still sits on top of it daily. Just make sure they have enough substrate in case they do.
Cool. Do the burrows need to reach the bottom of the cup?

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
They are definitely newcomer friendly. They can be a bit more skittish as juveniles, but nothing like some other spiders. Mine are juveniles and I love them both - they are so fabulous. Both of mine are quite active and have great feeding responses - unless they are in pre-moult.
This is my little girl, Portia.
View attachment 216941

And my little boy, Brutus.
View attachment 216942
Great looking spiders. How old are they?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Great looking spiders. How old are they?
I got them from someone else who raised them from spiderlings and, going by what he told me, they are about 4 years old. The female is around 3-3.5" and the male is at 4+".

cold blood

Staff member
Cool. Do the burrows need to reach the bottom of the cup?
No, just a tiny start...now the t may extend the burrow all the way down, but you do not have to...in fact, just presenting a hide is good enough, starter burrows are not necessary at all....just helpful.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Read bite reports before getting any OW tarantula. Last year a member posted about his OBT bite, and had several miserable days including a trip to ER. Temperaments vary in every tarantula species. People who get a calmer specimen tend to think: 'I don't see what the fuss is all about.' Those who have more typical examples have seen the speed and defensiveness first hand. Watching videos or doing some reading is nothing like the real thing, when a large tarantula races out of its cage in your direction.

OW's don't have the benefit of urticating hairs and their way to survive predation is to use a combination of unpredictability, speed, & venom. They can sit motionless and suddenly explode; they don't know where they're headed, nor do you, but they're going there at top speed.
And if I remember right that same user was one of the ones that got OWs against advice and shouted for several months that it was totally okay for beginners to get an OW first, prior to the OBT bite.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And if I remember right that same user was one of the ones that got OWs against advice and shouted for several months that it was totally okay for beginners to get an OW first, prior to the OBT bite.
Hopefully that isn't me in a few months ;)

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Well some people are of course idiots. So just because one person gets bit doesnt mean all people who get OBT's quick into the hobby are the same. I was a month in or so. (moulted once).

No probs. Although will see as he/she gets bigger. Am investing in a proper sized container to do some more efficient/safe rehousing. For avics I dont bother just give them a gentle nudge. However OBT's need that extra level of precaution.

I think this is big enough no?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXTRA-LARG...r=8-4&keywords=storage+containers+extra+large

Could always use it for P.Muticus colony :)

p.s I am after something like this.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well some people are of course idiots. So just because one person gets bit doesnt mean all people who get OBT's quick into the hobby are the same. I was a month in or so. (moulted once).

No probs. Although will see as he/she gets bigger. Am investing in a proper sized container to do some more efficient/safe rehousing. For avics I dont bother just give them a gentle nudge. However OBT's need that extra level of precaution.

I think this is big enough no?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXTRA-LARG...r=8-4&keywords=storage+containers+extra+large

Could always use it for P.Muticus colony :)

p.s I am after something like this.
You could always use it to make M. balfouri New York ;)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Haha! (I dont think P.Muticus colony would work. Would be a nightmare imagine all those tunnels).
It'd be a nightmare how fat one T would be after about a month... how aggresive they are and all. It would be the hunger games, just with gigantic spiders.

MikeDell

Arachnopeon
So I have decided on a G. pulchripes. I found a beginner bundle on Jamie's Tarantulas that will give me a 1/2 -3/4 sling plus one of her enclosures with substrate, cork bark etc.