First spider show, what to get?!

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
So I'm going to S.E.A.S on the 29th and I am super excited about it. I've been to a few reptile shows before, but never a spider show! I'll be going by bus/train so it'll take me a while to get there, so I'll make sure to bring plenty of heat bags for whatever I end up buying.

This is what I have at the moment:

T list:
Brachypelma albopilosum
Grammostola sp. “North”
Avicularia sp. “Guyana” (Avicularia Avicularia)
Tapinauchenius gigas
Aphonopelma seemanni

Not Ts but they're close enough:
x2 Acanthogonatus francki
Acanthogonatus pissii – Chilean Golden Tiger:

Also got these coming this week:
Pterinochilus murinus
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

I'm not really sure what I want. I LOVE the way Heteroscodra maculata looks like, but I heard they're really nasty, worst than OBTs? I also love the way most Poecilotheria look, especially regalis, fasciata and metallica but again, all I've heard is that they're best left alone. I also do tend to prefer terrestrials, but all seem to be brown/black/red and kinda dull...

Any ideas/suggestions?

cold blood

Staff member
A. Geniculata, N. chromatus, P. cambridgei, G. pulchripes/pulchra, B. smithi/emelia, A. versicolor/urticans, B. cabocla, N. incei

All great spiders to look for, most are reasonably priced and easily found...pulchra and emelia would be most expensive.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I would steer you away from H maculata and Poecilotheria.

H maculata is one of the nastiest species out there, far worse than P murinus. Keep a look out for some cheap new world species. A lot of these reptile/exotics shows have majoratively wild caught new worlds and usually you can get them for dirt cheap or talk them down to dirt cheap.
Whatever you decide, remember, don't ever accept the sticker price. Haggle them down a bit, and if they don't budge then leave and check back towards the end of the day, none of them want to bring specimens home, they are their to sell. Also chances are you'll be able to find another specimen of the species at another vendor that will be more open to negotiation

N chromatus
A geniculata
Therophosa SP.
And a whole slew of Grammostola and Brachypelma are often available in bulk and varrying species at these kind of shows

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I also do tend to prefer terrestrials, but all seem to be brown/black/red and kinda dull...
Any ideas/suggestions?

Hapalopus sp. Colombia large

Pamphobeteus platyomma (be aware that only the males are this color. Females are mostly black.)

Pterinopelma sazimai

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You've already got great suggestions here, so I'll leave that alone.

Two things. First, pay cash! Dealers will often be more willing to work with you on prices if you pay cash. Second, don't be afraid to ask for bulk pricing! If possible, buy everything from a single dealer. Build your basket, have them gather everything, and then ask what they can do for you on the price. I've gotten huge discounts amounting to essentially free spiders by doing this. Obviously, the more that you buy, the more they're willing to work on the price.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Phormictopus and Pamphobeteus are both great looking and on the large side, as well as not being terribly common.

mistertim

Arachnobaron

H maculata is one of the nastiest species out there, far worse than P murinus. Keep a look out for some cheap new world species. A lot of these reptile/exotics shows have majoratively wild caught new worlds and usually you can get them for dirt cheap or talk them down to dirt cheap.
Whatever you decide, remember, don't ever accept the sticker price. Haggle them down a bit, and if they don't budge then leave and check back towards the end of the day, none of them want to bring specimens home, they are their to sell. Also chances are you'll be able to find another specimen of the species at another vendor that will be more open to negotiation

N chromatus
A geniculata
Therophosa SP.
And a whole slew of Grammostola and Brachypelma are often available in bulk and varrying species at these kind of shows
Are H. macs really that bad? I've heard that they're extremely shy and mostly bolt instead of fight. But opinions seem to differ, which could just mean there's wide divergence in temperament from spider to spider in the species.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Like @EulersK said. pay cash and do package deals. If a table has only one T you want, move on. If they don't want to deal, move on. If you target one or two species of T, you probably won't find it or you'll pay too much. You have enough already, you know what you like. Be flexible and think outside the box. I've bought tarantulas at shows I have never considered before and consider myself lucky to own them now.

As far as an H mac, give it space and you'll be fine. Treat it like your OBT and you'll be fine. Watch the body language, do what you need to do and get out. My Pokie, a P regalis is pretty shy. She's usually hiding when the lights are on. I give her tank a little tap before I go in. She would rather hide and believe you don't see her, then bolt. All in all, if it doesn't look right, save it for another time. That's the best advice I could give you for dealing with any tarantula situation.

And so @Chris LXXIX isn't the only flag waver for the P muticus, I'll say it's gotta be one of the most underrated OW's. Spend the $$$ for the female. She'll anchor your collection. She is the Queen.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll keep them in mind as well as an open mind for whatever I happen to see that I like.

I'm not sure how common these are but I've made a little list of stuff I particularly like the look off, but ofc, I'll be looking at everything else too. I also have to say that thanks to @Walker253 and @Chris LXXIX I am NOW (I accidentally wrote not... -_-) really considering the Pelinobius muticus if I see one!

Otherwise, this is the list I've kinda compiled, what do you guys think, I laid off the H maculata and the Poecilotheria.

Orphaneus phillipinus
Pterinopelma sazmai
Chilobrachys sp vietnam blue
Crypsidromus sp boquete
Holothele cf sericea
Neoholothele incei gold
Pachistopelma bromelicola
Psalmopoeus irminia
Sahydroaraneus raja
Tapinauchenius violaceus
Cyriopagopoeus hainanum
Hysterocrates laticeps

Not sure how rare these are or anything but I'll probably print a revised list to take with me just in case.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You should check the breeders/sellers posts on the FB pages to see what people are selling. There are loads of great pricevlists up including some really great Ts.

That is a great list.

Just do a little research and what gets your attention then get whatever floats your boat ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
IMO if I was going I would get more H. sericea, another P. irminia and more P. sazimai. But thats just my opinion. Unfortunately I cant go so I am sending a friend. I wish they had shows up here.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You've already got great suggestions here, so I'll leave that alone.

Two things. First, pay cash! Dealers will often be more willing to work with you on prices if you pay cash. Second, don't be afraid to ask for bulk pricing! If possible, buy everything from a single dealer. Build your basket, have them gather everything, and then ask what they can do for you on the price. I've gotten huge discounts amounting to essentially free spiders by doing this. Obviously, the more that you buy, the more they're willing to work on the price.
HU$$LE B4BY ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Pseudhapalopus sp. "blue"
Dolichothele diamantinensis
Davus pentalore
Megaphobema robustum

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Oooo...haven't seen this one before either. Time to start creating a "future acquisitions" list. :)
I love them. I have a female and three slings. The slings started out around 3/4" back in Sep 2016 when I got them. One of them is over 2 inches DLS. The other two are slightly smaller. The slings are still burrowing but unlike my other slings they hang out near then entrance to the burrow and stick half their body out of the burrow when they start to get hungry. I have a 4" female. She has a hide but never uses it. She is slightly skittish, but always out on display.

Last edited:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
this is what you need to do. This is what I did the last time I went to a show

Create a spreadsheet.
1.Determine how many T's you want
2. Create a budget
3. Determine some plan B T's just in case they don't have ones you are looking for
4.make sure you have enclosures
5. go for variety. aboreals, dwarfs, OW, NW etc.
6. Do your research, some of these "drab" spiders are really gorgeous in person. Good example N.tripeppi. I have never seen a good picture of these species but they are one the most beautiful spiders in person
7. DO NOT buy a T.stirmi...just don't
8.plan for feeders

Chuckmater

Arachnopeon

N chromatus
A geniculata
Therophosa SP.
I don't see how the H. Mac is "one of the nastiest species out there". It's definitely an overstatement to say that it's "far worse than P. Murinus". Sure, they're lightning fast, and they can deliver a nasty bite, but they're one of the most boring Ts out there in terms of their visibility. They HATE light like the plague, and it's hard to ever see them. The H. Mac is much more shy and skittish than the P. Murinus:. you'd have a greater chance in running into trouble with the P. Murinus over H. Mac, hands down. Of course, rehousing an H. Mac sucks, but that doesn't happen often. I would say, the only T I actually fear is the S. Calceatum. Pokies and H. Macs are simple to take care of even with limited experience with arboreals. Don't let people scare you away from them...unless it's an S. Calceatum....then, be afraid, be very afraid!