First spider death

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I lost my first spider yesterday, a P. ornata (1"). I bought this spider only 2 weeks ago. It died in a molt, it just 'popped the top' and the abdomen skin tore so you could see the new skin, but it never got further than that...:( . I'm a bit in the dark as to how it could have happened, it surely was humid enough. The only reason I could think of is that I changed its enclosure the day before the molt, maybe this stressed it out. As I didn't have any molt records on this spider, I didn't know that it was about to molt (and no darkening in OW spiders). And on top of that, the spider was quite skinny, so I just didn't see the molt coming on.
I'll just have to live with it, I know the little ones are more vulnerable to something like this.
Joost

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sometimes these things just happen. We had one of our I. hirsuta s'lings die much the same way. One evening, it was fine. The next morning, it was dead halfway out of a molt. We kept it just like the surviving clutchmate that we still have, it had ventilation and good humidity. We racked our brains to try to figure out what we could have done differently and still don't know. We had just moved about 1 week prior, but I doubt that could have been the reason. Anyhow, I am sorry to hear you lost your pokie and suggest getting yourself another ASAP. It is the best way to keep enthused. Besides, what is better than a new spider??

-Jill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Joost,
Losing a t, is the worst. I'm so sorry. The exact same thing happened to my sling Emilia. I still haven't bought another emilia. This one was sweet beyond belief.
Peace,
Gillian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joost,
That really sucks, some things we cant control.
This is the reason I haven't bought a T. blondi yet. I concerned about molting problems..

Ernie

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My first G. Rosea Died like that:( Sorry about your P. Ornata

BryanSS:(

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
*man*

I also expeirienced my first spider death a few months ago, my B.albopilosum sling, I feel very sad for your P.ornata, it really stinks when you lose a T! My condolences!

James

arthropoda

Arachnopeon
Sorry Arachnojoost , Arachnopunks, Gillian, LD50, Tarantula Lover, to hear about everybody's losses . I have a P. Ornata (7'') an B. emila (4'') and they're just as sweet as can be.

I've had to say my fair share of goodbye's to the point I'm nervous whenever our other T's shed.