First Snake of the Year!

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, it isn't much of a field trip, but I took a little walk today in Southern California. I found this little beauty while we were out. I snapped a couple photos of her and let her be. I never tire of seeing Cal Kings in the wild. Enjoy! :)

California Kingsnake - Lampropeltus getula californiae

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is another photo from the same area last weekend. The day was fairly cool and this guy wasn't in any hurry to go anywhere. I picked him up to show my daughter and he just froze. I set him down like you see in the photo and he remained posed. I snapped the photo and then flipped him on his belly. He then scurried under the nearest rock.

Sceloporous - "How you doin'?"

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I was always under the impression that the stripped kingsnakes were a man made morph. Shows what I know about colubrids.:rolleyes:

The lizard picsture is awsome. He was probably sitting around like that when he got his tail bit off.:eek:

Later, Tom

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great stuff Gil!
Love that posing lizard picture!
:)

Here its still ice age and herping seems far far away...

/Lelle

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tom,

The majority of the Cal Kings I find in this part of San Diego County are striped. The ones in this area are the typical coastal phase kingsnakes. Coastal phase snakes are a rich chocolate color with the yellow bands or a stripe like the one pictured. The more inland you go the more the color tends toward black and the bands or stripes become more white. The most striking black and white colored Cal Kings are found in the desert populations. They are truly amazing. I'm not sure if the striping in desert snakes is nearly as common as it is in the coastal areas. I have never found a striped desert phase Cal King. The beautiful striped desert phase snakes could be the result of selective breeding. I may be wrong though.

Lelle,

I feel for you man! I'm hoping to get out this weekend to see some more things. I have a lot of family in town this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll be able to sneak out or not. You'll know I escaped if you see a bunch of C. o. helleri photos this weekend. :)

Thanks guys!
Gilbert

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Love the Cal. King picture. I have a cb desert phase. Wonderful to see a wild species.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lelle,

I feel for you man! I'm hoping to get out this weekend to see some more things. I have a lot of family in town this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll be able to sneak out or not. You'll know I escaped if you see a bunch of C. o. helleri photos this weekend. :)
Good luck on that! Perhaps you can find a few ruber aswell
That would be worth getting yelled at when you return after 10 hrs when you were supposed to go out to "get milk"... ;)

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A striped kingsnake in the wild?? Wow that's impressive to me!

Congrats on the finds!

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lelle,

Thanks guys!
Gilbert
You should go out with the NAFHA on the Slash X trip(March 17th). I am planning on going, info can be found here:http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70744

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What,

Thanks for posting that link. I'm seriously thinking of tagging along on that trip. That is a perfect time for a desert trip.

I took the kids out again this week and we saw another striped Cal King. We also found a couple Jerusalem crickets, a nice scolopendra, and a few other inverts. I'll put up a few photos by the end of the weekend.

Later,
G