First Slings Question...

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Hey all...I am trying to raise slings for the first time. My 1/4" curlyhair I've had for two weeks and she has not eaten in one week now. I figured she's going to molt, but don't know how long they stop eating prior at this small stage.
I was wondering if I could compile some averages from you all from the time they stop eating to the time they molt...thanks in advance!
(BTW...I'm pretty new here and am impressed with the overall friendliness!) :)

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
...or at least how long they can go without eating at this small size....

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have three curlies left that we raised from about the same size as yours. When they stop feeding before a molt it is and individual thing for each spider or at least in our case. Of the 10 slings we raised and sold or traded, they would seem to take 4 weeks at the greatest time between not eating and a molt when they were that small. Now that they are 1 1/2" they have slowed their growth a bit they have not shown signs of pre-molt behaviour for about 3 months and had taken food 2 weeks ago. We're going to feed tomorrow so we'll see if they will still eat.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Wow, I didn't know they could go that long without eating at that size. I just assumed they would die in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the info.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When my curly was 1/4" up to 1 1/4" it molted every 30 - 35 days.
I can't say how long it fasted before the molt, cause it was in its burrow most of the time.
They are fast growing T's, I love mine. ;)

Ernie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
Wow, I didn't know they could go that long without eating at that size. I just assumed they would die in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the info.
Slings that have been feeding well (i.e. starting off with plump abdomens) can go up to a few months without feeding. Barring a secondary illness that prevents the sling from hunting, a T will not starve themselves to death so them not feeding is almost without fail nothing to worry about.