First Sling

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got my first sling/second tarantula today. Its a little half inch B boehmei, and Im all worried all ready! Hes in a little tupperware container, with a slightly damp side, lots of little holes, and curled up in one corner. It took two tries to get him, so just having him is like whoa (hes a birthday present) but now im worried about him! Should I be? Also, when should I try feedingg him? Thanks in advance!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More than likely he is just fine, coming to a new home can be very stressful and the natural inclination is to scrunch up in the corner and hide. Give him a few days and he will probably be more active and settling into his new home. I usually wait two days or so before feeding a new T. Congrats!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i generally feed things as soon as i get them. if i don't feed them then i surely give them a drink of water

my half ass rationale is that a bug will want to live where it can find food easily. virtually all the new bugs pounce on their first meal from me.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Slings are much different then the adults. The first time you get one its like "wow they are that small?" But just let the little fellow settle in and everything should be easy from there. You can offer food once a week and if its killed great, if not dont worry to much. You dont have to feed to much when they are small before they are ready to molt!
Congrats and good luck!

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank ya!! Im nervous still, and think in a bit ill offer Charlie (he needed a name!) a cricket and see if he gobbles it up or not. Dead cricket of course.. Will they eat mealworms if i get him those?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep he will eat cut up pieces of meal worms as a sling. Just remember to try and vary his diet when you can as he gets a bit bigger.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay! I smushed the head on a cricket (littleish one) and gave it to him, and he wasnt interested.. I come back an hour later, and the cricket was apparently just stunned as he was like..battling it... so i took it out, cut its head OFF and made sure it would NOT move and threw it back in...evil cricket.. definitely want mealworms

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Crickets can take a beating thats for sure. Try again in a few days maybe his mood will change. I have a few slings myself and they are taking their sweet time getting any bigger. They have not eaten in 3 weeks and still sporting that bald shinny little butt.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, mmk. Slow growing is what I wanted. Going off to college next year, and the longer it takes Charlie to get big, the better!