first roach

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i want get some roaches but i need a little help on what kind to get.
im looking for something that will fit the aquarium(10g),hardy and attractive.
ive considered the follow(feel free to add any or caretips)
1.hissers
2.Panchlora nivea
3.Blaberus giganteus
thanks in advance

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Will these be pets or feeders? If they will be feeders, what type of animal will they be feeders for?

Hissers are all around wonderful PET and you can get beautiful tiger hissers, my favorite. But, they don't make great feeders.

Panchlora nivea can fly out when you lift the lid:eek: Good feeders and very pretty.

Blaberus giganteus are big and beautiful, slow to mature and breed but fun. Not as much fun to observe as hissers. Also not great feeders. Would be my last choice on this list. But I have them and love them.

Last edited:

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Blaberus giganteus are big and beautiful, slow to mature and breed but fun. Not as much fun to observe as hissers. Also not great feeders. Would be my last choice on this list. But I have them and love them.
I recently got some B. giganteus, they are indeed big and beautiful, may I ask you a bit more about their breeding & maturity times? And why do you say they are not good feeders? I have about 10 adults and 15-20 juv/sub-adults, is this enough to get a colony going? Any tips for keeping them, or are they just like any other Blaberus? I have not been able to find a lot of info on this one particular species. Any more info would be appreciated. :)

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
None of those species produce an offensive aroma. First roaches should be the easiest- hissers. They naturally have humid them drought conditions in Madagascar, which makes them more tolerant of care in the home. The other two require a little more maintenance in that they need some humidity and/or to be sprayed regularly-ish. Hissers are also easier to feed/breed. Giganteous grow slower than the other two. Panchlora sp. have very tiny nymphs and can fly/climb, so containment needs to be considered.

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hardy roaches

hissers, dubias, and distantiis are as hardy as they come, a cinera colony would make for good frog feeders

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Of the species you listed I would go with hissers. They are pretty darn bullet proof and a blast to watch. They are also not very picky about what they eat. I have probably 300 in a ten gallon tank, most of them are very young nymphs. At night they become very active and the males will have little battles for teritory. Cool to watch, and of course they hiss which is awsome too.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I recently got some B. giganteus, they are indeed big and beautiful, may I ask you a bit more about their breeding & maturity times? And why do you say they are not good feeders? I have about 10 adults and 15-20 juv/sub-adults, is this enough to get a colony going? Any tips for keeping them, or are they just like any other Blaberus? I have not been able to find a lot of info on this one particular species. Any more info would be appreciated. :)
I haven't been keeping them long enough to give any good reliable info. I have been told that they produce a noxious odor that will discourage a tarantula from eating it if the T doesn't get it on the first try. That is why I said they don't make great feeders. I probably should have said there are better choices for feeders, if you were to have just one species. I have also heard that they require a bit more "personal space".

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I haven't been keeping them long enough to give any good reliable info. I have been told that they produce a noxious odor that will discourage a tarantula from eating it if the T doesn't get it on the first try. That is why I said they don't make great feeders. I probably should have said there are better choices for feeders, if you were to have just one species. I have also heard that they require a bit more "personal space".
I see, thanks for the info. :)