First OWT, which will be best?

TsmallV

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking of getting my first old world tarantula, I need some help with some of my requirements
I'm looking for an arboreal that grows over 3 inch, good for beginners and not too aggressive
any good suggestions?

---------- Post added 03-11-2012 at 08:09 PM ----------

besides my requirements, what other Old World tarantulas are good?

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would argue that there is no such thing as an OW arboreal that is good for "beginners". I personally would never recommend an OW tarantula to someone that hasn't had one. Whether or not someone is ready for an OW tarantula is dependent upon their own abilities, their preparation and their living conditions (small children that get into everything for example). There are people that are ok starting out with OW tarantulas and are totally fine and prepared, and I believe that would be true for the majority of keepers. But I still believe that stepping into the world of high potent venom should be a personal decision that everyone needs to make for themselves while taking their personal situation into consideration. Just based on the drastic increase in venom potency, OW aren't good for "beginners" the way Grammostola or GBBs or Brachypelma are good for "beginners".

That said, if someone feels that they are ready to start with OW tarantulas, there are some species that are better to start off with. OBTs (not arboreal, but will show tendencies if the enclosure allows it) are cheap, commonly available, beautiful, and extremely hard to kill. They are also incredibly defensive (which is a good educational experience for the new keeper) and fast. Poecilotheria are much more apt to run and hide than throw slap the ground as soon as you walk by, but they're also very fast and have some of the very worst venom. As long as you're ok with a spider with very strong venom, I think Poecilotheria are actually a pretty good choice as a first OW tarantula. I've found that the other OW arboreal genera (Heteroscodra, Lampropelma, Cyriopagopus) are much more defensive than Poecilotheria.

Last edited:

maxfightmaster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my first was a P. ornata and i loved it, the second one i got about two months later was a P. regalis, and i loved it too. i would say start there, but before you get one read all you can about it.

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
I can't see why anyone wouldn't have enough experience for an old world. Just like any other animal its all about doing your research first and treating it with respect.

As long as you understand that they are a hands off Tarantula then go for it. Just get yourself a pair of stupidly long tweezers and pick the species you are interested in. My second T was an adult female P.murinus (OBT) and she's great.

I would recommend P.murinus, P.regalis, P.ornata, or for a different arboreal maybe a Stromatopelma calceatum.

I will say to not get a H.maculata though. The combination of speed and readiness to defend itself (offence being the best defence) and its venom has been noted to be rather powerful.

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 09:13 AM ----------

Also what experience with new world arboreals do you have? You could always try a species of Psalmopoeus as they behave more like old worlds due to the lack of urticating hair.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
You cant go wrong with P. cambridgei (in my opinion) they're amazing!
2nd choice would be P. regalis

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You cant go wrong with P. cambridgei (in my opinion) they're amazing!
2nd choice would be P. regalis
P. cambridgei aren't OW.

-Sesame Sam, I don't mean to say that anyone can't gain the experience necessary for an OW. Nor that people should avoid them. But I certainly wouldn't consider them a good "beginner" species, just as I wouldn't suggest a large python for a first time snake owner. Many are capable of doing so and are fine. But a beginner species, in my opinion, are those for which there is some wiggle room should accidents/mistakes arise.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I would argue that there is no such thing as an OW arboreal that is good for "beginners". I personally would never recommend an OW tarantula to someone that hasn't had one. Whether or not someone is ready for an OW tarantula is dependent upon their own abilities, their preparation and their living conditions (small children that get into everything for example). There are people that are ok starting out with OW tarantulas and are totally fine and prepared, and I believe that would be true for the majority of keepers. But I still believe that stepping into the world of high potent venom should be a personal decision that everyone needs to make for themselves while taking their personal situation into consideration. Just based on the drastic increase in venom potency, OW aren't good for "beginners" the way Grammostola or GBBs or Brachypelma are good for "beginners".

That said, if someone feels that they are ready to start with OW tarantulas, there are some species that are better to start off with. OBTs (not arboreal, but will show tendencies if the enclosure allows it) are cheap, commonly available, beautiful, and extremely hard to kill. They are also incredibly defensive (which is a good educational experience for the new keeper) and fast. Poecilotheria are much more apt to run and hide than throw slap the ground as soon as you walk by, but they're also very fast and have some of the very worst venom. As long as you're ok with a spider with very strong venom, I think Poecilotheria are actually a pretty good choice as a first OW tarantula. I've found that the other OW arboreal genera (Heteroscodra, Lampropelma, Cyriopagopus) are much more defensive than Poecilotheria.
+1

I would recommend P.murinus, P.regalis, P.ornata, or for a different arboreal maybe a Stromatopelma calceatum.
I would strongly recommend against Stromatopelma calceatum

Last edited:

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
So if P. cambridgei aren't OW then I suppose P. irminia aren't OW

:barf:
I feel so stupid.

It's ok, mistakes happen. If it makes you feel better P. irminia is probably the best T I'd reccomend for preparing yourself to own an OW. If you can handle a P. irminia you can likely handle most OW's.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think: If your unsure; get a psalmopeous sp. to get much of the same reactions and still has stronger venom .
E. pachypus is a good start as it is more of a calm OW but is not arboreal . However if you want to jump in pick a poke you like.

Echolalia

Arachnosquire
The Psamopoeus genus is really good to get for practice with OW tarantulas. They're fast, but don't have the potent venom that comes with pokies. :) If you can handle one of those, you'd do go with a regalis, or an ornata.
Or, you could be like me and just get a pokie right away. They're really not as bad as people make them out to be.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's ok, mistakes happen. If it makes you feel better P. irminia is probably the best T I'd reccomend for preparing yourself to own an OW. If you can handle a P. irminia you can likely handle most OW's.
That's pretty much why I thought it was OW. It has alot of tendencies that OW arboreals have. It acts just like my H. maculata.

TsmallV

Arachnopeon
I can't see why anyone wouldn't have enough experience for an old world. Just like any other animal its all about doing your research first and treating it with respect.

As long as you understand that they are a hands off Tarantula then go for it. Just get yourself a pair of stupidly long tweezers and pick the species you are interested in. My second T was an adult female P.murinus (OBT) and she's great.

I will say to not get a H.maculata though. The combination of speed and readiness to defend itself (offence being the best defence) and its venom has been noted to be rather powerful.

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 09:13 AM ----------

Also what experience with new world arboreals do you have? You could always try a species of Psalmopoeus as they behave more like old worlds due to the lack of urticating hair.
my experience so far is owning 5 Ts in 4 months, I have only one arboreal and I have an extra arboreal tank so I want to fill that and I think I'm ready for an old world, I'm just wondering what will be the best chose :p
thanks ^_^

Trogdora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
E. pachypus is a good start as it is more of a calm OW but is not arboreal .
Eucratosceles pachypus was my first OW and they're interesting little spiders. The one I have now varies from very very calm to quite defensive - she'll slap the paintbrush half a dozen times to get her point across. :) I still don't recommend handling them, but I do recommend them as a first Old World tarantula.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would say P. regalis, P. formosa, C. darlingi, but do not start with S. calceatum. Mine act exactly as all my pokies, but if you were to get one that was deffensive, then you would possilby regret it.

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that they were a good beginner species, only that you don't see too many around. Everyone seems to go for pokies.
I really should have worded it better, it was early in my time and was still blurry eyed

I haven't had a problem with them myself, but I've never had any issues with my old worlds.

I do agree with the general thought of getting a P.irminia though. They are pretty, fast, and have the higher venom punch like old worlds but
To a lower degree.
I wouldn't be without mine and I prefer them to other new world arboreals. In fact I prefer them to my pokies.