First old world fossorial.PterinochilusChordatus

eoin

Arachnopeon
Hi guys. Not a newbie by any means but all my ts so far have been terrestrial or arboreal (1 cobalt blue when i was a teen but didn't feel experience enough and worried she'd just die so gifted it to my more experience friend)
Iv recently been gifted a p chordatus from the lovely wife. My first true old world and what a lovely spider. I obviously wanna provide the best I care possible for my spiders so, my question is this...
iv rehoused her into a fossorial type enclouse. (The things pet shops and places keep them in is deplorable) she seems OK/happy in the new enclosure.
I only provided a tiny pilot hole or starter hole for her to burrow (thinking she'd instinctively continue or show interest in it atleast) but this morning found just out in the open.
She's started webbing the floor and around enclosure as normal but I'm curious now will she even start to burrow?
Anyone else have this species or knowledge/ experience with them. Iv had someone tell me.keep it like the murinus species but to not provided substrate to a species that's fossorial seems cruel. Hopefully she stats to burrow. I don't mind having a pet hole as long as she's happy. But if not... jeeeesh I gave her way too much substrate haha. Thanks guys for any info in advance.
Eoin.

Attachments

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
Some fossorial will choose to web rather than burrow or so I have been told I wouldn't worry she will rearrange it once she's settled a bit more , fossorial definitely take longer than your average t to settle in just be patient give her time she knows what she's doing 😉

eoin

Arachnopeon
Some fossorial will choose to web rather than burrow or so I have been told I wouldn't worry she will rearrange it once she's settled a bit more , fossorial definitely take longer than your average t to settle in just be patient give her time she knows what she's doing 😉
"She knows what she's doing"
Made me smile haha. Thanks alot man appreciate it

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It seems like you have given it all it needs now the important thing to do is wait for it to fully settle in! This could be quite awhile I have had fossorials really take lots of time just to settle in. You might be good to give it a partially buried hide to retreat under if you haven’t already. My Pterinochilus do this.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I really wasn't thinking when setting it up. Was only thing I had other than more fake plants/leaves. Taking it out and gona put in a piece of bark or something instead.
Make a starter burrow under the bark and I'm betting it'll take to it in short order. It may take some days or weeks for it to really start digging out a deep burrow, but it'll happen eventually.

eoin

Arachnopeon
Update. The ridiculous un necessary rock has been removed and replaced 😂 She's also started a lil burrow of her own.

Attachments

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
My C lividus took 2 months to start excavating the premade burrow. Just be patient