First moult

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B.Smithi 2" is about to moult,it stopped feeding a couple of days ago and I have just noticed its abdomen as turned very dark.
The temp is 78 and the humidity is 70% is this ok.
I have been looking forward to my first experience of moulting,but now i feel rather nervous.stupid really.I know you cant guess when the moult will take place but i hope its soon.
CHID

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If just turned black it could be sometime before your tarantula molts. Maybe a couple of weeks? I would as a precaution mist the encloser lightly daily. This may help with the molt.

On a side note I think you will pleasently surprised when you see how beautiful the smithi is after the molt. Mine molted recently, and she is beautiful.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My smithi took about two weeks from the abdomen turning black to the actual molting (mine is a little bigger than yours). Temp and humidity seem to be fine molting conditions. Misting would be a precaution with 70% humidity. That said, when my first t's molted I always sprayed just to be sure, so I guess it can't harm the spider (just remember to make it slightly moist, not wet!).
Good luck!
Joost

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
guessing on moult

After a few molts you gain an intuition on to what day the spider will actually molt. and it carrys over somehow with all speices,
maybe its just me though.

Also your B. Smithi will start to web a molting pad, do not remove him or her from this its very important.