First Molting

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
I came home from work today and saw my scorpion's old exoskeleton. I've been looking forward to this for a bit now. Now the timing may be unfortunate. A friend of mine is coming from out of town and we were both looking forward to seeing him take out some crickets. But now I'm curious as to how long, if at all, I should wait before feeding it again?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find it surprising how little info there is on molting, especially when mine were in premolt and i was doing the huge research thing. i'd wait a day or two personally.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Few days, you can see when the exoskeleton is hardened out. You might feed it a pre-killed cricket though, but still it might be not interested in eating.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What scorpion do you have, if I may ask?

I know my P.imperators wont eat for a few days, sometimes up to a week after they harden. Mostly sit near their water dish and drink like there isnt a tomorrow. They are around the 4i range.

My H.arizonesis, will not eat either for a while after hardening.

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
It's a Hottentotta caboverdensis. Very little info for it is a fairly new species.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Also, it seems to have disappeared completely. I'm really hoping it's just buried itself. I checked under and around and even under his decoration, nothing. I think that while it's distracted, hopefully not escaped, I'll clean out the decoration.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
It should be safe to feed it in 2-3 days, however, it likely won't accept the food. Usually takes about a week for them to be hungry again after a molt.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's a Hottentotta caboverdensis. Very little info for it is a fairly new species.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Also, it seems to have disappeared completely. I'm really hoping it's just buried itself. I checked under and around and even under his decoration, nothing. I think that while it's distracted, hopefully not escaped, I'll clean out the decoration.
Try looking up H Hottentotta. They are considered the same species. The scorpion could very well be hiding in the decorations, so be carfull when cleaning up.

I find that very small scorpions will start feeding sooner than big ones will. A scorpion that has gone from 2i-3i can be fed a few days after. Larger ones wont take food as fast. Maybe a week.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you can download articles from the net, a full description and a paper about them being parthenogenetic....Check out, amongst others, the Scorpion Fauna website of Eric Ythier....